Memorandum from Abba Seraphim
The late Metropolitan Thomas Mar Makarios has been a long and good friend of the British Orthodox for some quarter of a century and our sorrow at his tragic death is something we share keenly with our Indian Orthodox brethren.
Father Abraham Thomas has asked me to extend an invitation to any of our British Orthodox clergy and flock who might wish to attend the funeral service, which will begin around 5.50 on Friday, 29 February and last until about 7.00 p.m.
Our Indian Orthodox brethren still maintain the very ancient tradition of burying bishops seated on their throne, in which position (rather than in a coffin) they “preside” at their own funerals. This is a very impressive ceremony and should be spiritually edifying for all those who attend. I know that the Indian Orthodox community appreciate the participation of clergy not only of the Oriental Orthodox family but also from other Christian communities. The late Metropolitan was highly respected by Christians of other traditions, wsith whom he maintained good relations.
Friday 29th February
1. 3PM to 5-45 PM – Viewing at St.Gregorios Church, London
2. 6PM to 7.15 PM – Funeral service 1st part.
3. 7.15 PM Holy Qurbana
4. 9.15 PM Farewell service
5. 9.45 PM body leaving church to the funeral Home.
6. H.G. Geevarghese Mar Coorilose will be leading the services in London.
7. The mortal remains of H.G. Dr. Thomas Mar Makarios Metropolitan will be
brought to Nedumbassery International airport on 2 March Sunday.
8. The Emirates flight which carry the body of His Grace will leave London
at 1:30 PM GMT on Saturday 1 March. There will be change in flight at Dubai.
The carrier will reach Nedumbassery airport at 8:55 AM IST on Sunday.
9. His Grace’s body will be taken to his native place Ayroor. The procession
to Ayroor will be going through NH 47 and from Alappuzha it will reach
Changanassery through A C Road and proceed to Ayroor via Thiruvalla.
10. After prayers at Ayroor the body will be brought to Old Seminary,
Kottayam where it will be kept overnight.
11. Monday morning Nagarikanikkal will start from Old Seminary and expected
to arrive at Devalokam around 9:00 AM IST. The funeral is expected to be
over by 12:30 PM IST.
- 26 May 2013
- Morning Incense & Divine Liturgy: BournemouthWorship commences 09.30
- Raising of Incense & Divine Liturgy: DoncasterRaising of Incense – 9:45am
Divine Liturgy – 10:30am
- Morning Prayer: Babingley10.00am Morning Prayer
- Morning Prayer: ChathamOrthodox Morning Prayer: 10:30 am
- Raising of Incense & Divine Liturgy: CharltonRaising of Incense 2.00 p.m.
Divine Liturgy 2.30 p.m.