Welcome to The British Orthodox Church website
The British Orthodox Church is a small Orthodox jurisdiction, canonically part of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria. Our mission is to the people of the British Isles, and though we are completely Orthodox in our faith and practice we remain British in our ethos and in our appreciation of the Orthodox heritage of these islands.
The British Orthodox Church was originally established in 1866 when a Frenchman, Jules Ferrette, was consecrated as a bishop by the Syrian Orthodox Church with the purpose of re-establishing Orthodoxy to the West.
Discover the Orthodox Faith for yourself
The mission of the British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate is to share the good news of the Orthodox Faith with British people in their own culture.
We have launched the British Orthodox Fellowship, so that our many friends and enquirers can join a community supported by the life of the British Orthodox Church.
Our aim is to help British people discover that they can be authentically and canonically Orthodox while remaining genuinely British. But we also warmly welcome all who wish to worship and learn with us, whatever their culture.
Our publications are available to all from our publishers website. Click on the book cover or title to order a copy.
- 18 April 2014
- Good Friday: Bournemouth1st Hour Prayers 07.00
3rd Hour Prayers 09.00
6th Hour Prayers 12.00
9th Hour Prayer 15.00
11th Hour Prayers 17.00
12th Hour Prayers including the Burial Service of our Lord 18.00
- Holy & Great Friday: Babingley1.30 p.m. Sixth & Ninth Hour Prayers
- 19 April 2014
- Joyous Saturday: BournemouthSaturday Worship 10.00
Paschal Vigil Liturgy 22.00
- Eve of the Feast of Holy Pascha: BabingleyEve of the Feast of Holy Pascha (Orthodox Easter)
4.00 -6.00 p.m A priest will be available for confessions.
7.00 p.m. Divine Liturgy for Holy Pascha
- 20 April 2014
- Raising of Incense & Divine Liturgy: DoncasterRaising of Incense – 9:45am
Divine Liturgy – 10:30am
- Holy Pascha: BournemouthMorning Prayer with Holy Communion 10.00
Followed by Memorial Prayers, commencing at Church & continuing in
Wimborne Road cemetery
- No service: Babingley10.30 a.m. No service because of the celebration on Pascha Eve.