The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Orthodox Prayer Life
07-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Orthodox Prayer Life
I have just completed a first read through of the late Father Matta El-Meskeen's book entitled 'Orthodox Prayer Life'. I just wanted to say "thank you" for pointing Fellowship members towards this spiritual masterpiece which appears on the Reading List at the back of 'Our Daily Life'.

In my opinion, this book is an absolute treasure, a bottomless resource, illuminating not only the subject of prayer but also the topics of faith, repentance, fasting, tears, the apparent spiritual difficulties which one encounters, and even the vision of, and Union with, God Himself - all in 290 pages. The Holy Spirit speaks powerfully through this important and attractive volume.

Although it's possibly no substitute for Spiritual Direction, it's certainly an invaluable handbook and companion along the Way. If I internalise it prayerfully, and call on the interior help of the Holy Spirit, it will certainly help to keep me on the "straight and narrow" for the whole of my earthly pilgrimage to God.

Thank you so very much.
07-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Dear Mark

I am glad that you like Orthodox Prayer Life. It has become very important to me, one of the few books that I keep returning to, over and over again. I am always hesitant when someone else reads it because I get afraid that they won't like it.

I haven't found anyone who hasn't found it helpful so far though.

This is what we are trying to share in the British Orthodox Fellowship and the British Orthodox Church. Not a legalistic and ritualistic religion, but spiritual life and light in the Holy Spirit.

Peter
07-03-2007, 09:54 PM

I am at present reading Orthodox Prayer Life and like Peter I think it is a book that I will refer to many times in my life, and I too have recommended this book in the past to other people, who have always come back very positive regarding its prayerful contents.

Happy reading Mark.

God Bless.

Robin

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved