The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Veneration of Icons
20-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Question Veneration of Icons
SO ive mostly been to Greek Churches where when venerating an icon you cross yourself ask for intercession then kiss the hands of the Icon with your lips. I THINK what I have seen in Coptic churches is they kiss their hand and touch the icon? I am curious how does the BOC venerate icons?

A Thiarna Íosa Críost, A Mhic Dé, déan trócaire orm, mar is peacach mé
21-04-2012, 09:34 PM
RE: Veneration of Icons
Christ is Risen.

When kissing the Icons we follow the Coptic tradition. We touch the icon with the tips of the fingers and then to bring the hand to the mouth and touch the lips with the finger tips.

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.
21-04-2012, 10:28 PM
any specific placement on Icon? feet, hands, shoulder?

22-04-2012, 08:51 PM
usually the feet of the Saint or corner of the Icon. I have never seen any specific placement with people in Church though.

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.
23-04-2012, 01:13 AM
i see... i kinda like the EO way better feels more intimate... Oh well i cant help but chuckle when i see people take things from the Priest it looks like he is playing slaps... :-p

23-04-2012, 10:37 AM
someone should write a book titled "a practical guide to Orthodoxy" where they spell out how to do the gestures and what not, what they mean, why they are done, etc. lol Id buy it :-p

23-04-2012, 06:25 PM
If you go on the "education support" section of the Forum Fr Simon has written quite a bit on "What we do in Church." Most things are covered there.

25-04-2012, 12:35 AM
really? i wonder why i never saw it over there

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved