The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Coptic Trisagion
12-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Coptic Trisagion
So I have been curious for some time now. I know the copts added some to the trisagion hymn two questions first is does the BOC use the additions in liturgy? second why was the addition made? i know many EO heavily criticize the additions as if focuses the hymn more on Christ and no so much on the trinity which i would say is understandable as im assuming the hymn is supposed to be worship to the trinity as a whole.
12-07-2011, 08:01 AM

The Coptic form of the Trisagion differs from the Byzantine, partly because of the addition of “Who was crucified for us” by St Peter the Fuller (d. 488), Patriarch of Antioch. There is a Coptic tradition, recorded by Ibn Siba in the 13th century, that Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus heard the angels crying out the Trisagion while they were burying the body of the Lord, and both cried out the words “Who was crucified for us”.

The BOC uses the Coptic form of the Trisagion.

Fr Gregory
12-07-2011, 03:17 PM

thank you so technically its not even coptic... interesting, i know this is ne of the examples mt athos uses against copts and i can see their point at the same time no one really has a hard time with the divinity of the father or holy spirit so i can also see its place...
29-07-2011, 08:52 AM
coptic trisagion
The Syriac Orthodox Church also use the formula "Crucifiied for us, have mercy on us", accompanied by a bow whilst making the sign of the Cross.
I do not know if any other Oriental Orthodox Church uses this formula. It has ben termed "controversial" because the Trisagion is often thought as being directed to God the Father, whereas in the Syriac Orthodox tradition we are addressing Christ.

Kirk Yacoub

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved