The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moving to Ireland
27-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Moving to Ireland
So I have been chatting with the embassy and I guess that even skilled labor tradesmen are struggling in Ireland so I'm going to take the long way in and was thinking of moving to another area of europe first then when able transitioning into Ireland. I was curious if anyone could help me find a foot in with railroads as I am training for conductor now. Also prayers are appreciated. I feel that this is probably the best way so I can also get more familiar with the members of the BOC. God Bless!
28-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Hi Ferdia,

The current British railway scene maybe slightly different from the US. I assume you wish to move to Britain to be in contact with the BOC. However, I cannot help with rail companies in Ireland, because I have no contact with them.

I am unsure of the full scope and training for conductors in America. In the UK, conductors have responsibility for passengers, safety, security, fare collection/ticket inspection, etc. They are employed by the Train Operating Companies (TOC), and each TOC will recruit their own staff. It will therefore be necessary to apply to a TOC for a vacancy, and it is unlikely that your present experience will count for a great deal because the rules etc. are different here, so you would need to undergo the full training package, although your experience may help with the selection process.

Depending where you wish to settle will be which TOC(s) serve that area, so I cannot suggest which to contact. I may be able to point you in the right direction if you tell me where you want to live.

With love and prayers,
Antony-Paul
28-06-2011, 10:06 PM

Eventually ireland but to start anywhere I can get a foot in! Yeah here most conductors are in the freight field... I also noticed that they arent paid as well there as they are here... but i guess its the separate field areas... Here conductors are the guys who hook up the cars and move them around and what not. There they are more of like a glorified bellhop lol i would like to stay in the freight field if possible but i will do anything jsut to get there lol
29-06-2011, 03:05 PM

I rather suspected that American conductors are different from UK ones. In general, you won't find an equivalent freight position, since British freight trains are operated by one person only - the driver (Engineer to you!). Freight conductors (guards) were taken out of use here many years ago. If you want a job with freight rail operators try googling the following companies to see if they can help.

EWS, Direct Rail Services, Freightliner, Stobart rail, DB Schenker.

With love and prayers,
Antony-Paul
29-06-2011, 03:13 PM

Here is an american job description..

"As a conductor trainee, you will operate track switches, couple cars and work on freight trains in yard operations or on the road. This job involves working outside in all weather conditions and may require substantial travel. You must be able to perform several tasks that require pulling, controlling and climbing on and off equipment."

most of the jobs ive saught out are yard operations only... i wonder if you guys just have a different name?
30-06-2011, 12:15 PM

This sounds like the work of the 'shunter', or freight yard worker. Again, try the companies I listed.

With love and prayers,
Antony-Paul
03-09-2012, 07:14 AM
RE: Moving to Ireland
i hope you have moved already, Ireland is a wonderful country,
my grandmother was Irish Smile

__
my site: convert flv to mp4 free

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved