within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Abba Seraphim on the Resurrection
07-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Abba Seraphim on the Resurrection
Dear Peter,

This is most helpful.

One of the things I like about Abba Seraphim's preaching is the gentle way it deals with the mysterious, reminding us, not in an obscurantist or evasive way, that there are parts of our Faith which we cannot know fully in this life; we see as through a glass darkly. As Jackie-Sarah says in another thread, we are, in God's terms, children, and we understand as children.

On some things we cannot, and should not, presume to be too prescriptive or dogmatic. It is understandable, especially in the zeal of a new conversion, that one should want everything cut and dried, so to say; but it isn't, and can't be. One reason we have the Church as our Mother is to guide us, and to remind us, through her great inherited wisdom, and through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, that we must trust her. Not blindly and without a will, but with eyes open and very willingly.

When we do understand, we will have no need of words, until then we must realise their uses - and limitations.

What do I need to know? That Christ died for me, that He loves me, and that I can be redeemed in Him. What do I want to know? Oh, everything I can will barely suffice.

The set readings for the day; the set reading in Our Daily Life and my prayers: that is sometimes all (and more) than I can muster; but it gives me what I need to know.

Abba Seraphim's moving sermon reminds us all of how life in Him transforms us all.

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved