The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Papal protest
23-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Papal protest
Unfortunately if this man was outside Westminster Abbey when I was there with His Eminence Abba Seraphim I didn't see him...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ericsammons.com/blog/2010/09/20/a-papal-protestor-i-can-respect/">http://ericsammons.com/blog/2010/09/20/ ... n-respect/</a><!-- m -->

Whenever the pope arrives somewhere, it seems like every possible protester comes out of the woodwork – atheists, women priests supporters, etc. I remember having a debate with a fundamentalist Christian in Denver back in 1993 when Pope John Paul II was there for World Youth Day. Most of these protesters are hard to take seriously, because none of them seem to take the Church’s teachings seriously. But there was one papal protester in London this past weekend that I can respect (even if I don’t agree with him):
It’s not every day you see Latin on a placard protesting the Pope. When the anti-papal crowd of several thousand atheists, radical feminists and gay activists gathered in London this weekend, most of the banners were pretty simple: stuff like “Nope to the Pope” and “Papa Don’t Preach.”
But later in the afternoon, on the edges of the papal motorcade, and amidst a number of cheering fans of Benedict, there was a poster raised demanding, “DROP THE FILIOQUE.”
What? You have to know a little bit of Latin, and a lot of theology and history to get that one.
It wasn’t really a poster; it more like Magic Marker theology on a pizza box. And a young man named Toby Guise was happy to explain where, in his opinion, the Catholic Church had gone wrong.
“Filioque” means “And the Son,” and refers to a centuries-old debate between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, about whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father alone, as the Orthodox believe, or from the Father and the Son, which is the Catholic teaching.
That’s tough stuff, material for smart folks debating in a graduate school seminar. Perhaps it’s too bad the Pope didn’t see the pizza box; he would have been amused.
And in his former career as a professor and not a pontiff, he probably would have liked to talk to the young man holding it up.
26-09-2010, 10:48 AM

wow, this is brilliant.

I was watching the news about papal protests and ended up in a debate with a femwle friend about such issues as Abortion and Woman priests. It is tragic how the majority of people do not understand why the church doesn't change, or how important keeping to the Orthodox faithis.

This filioque protester hs definitely made my day, all we need is one more protesting the crowing on Charlemagne in Rome and it would be a very respectable protest.

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.
29-09-2010, 10:19 PM

....and the Pope ignored all of it anyway!!!

As an aside, were there any other theological disputes with the Latin Church at that schism, or was it just the issue of 'Filioque'?
30-09-2010, 05:08 PM

There were quite a few differences that led to it.

One obvious one was the use of Greek and the use of Latin.
There was also the Authority of the Bishop of Rome.

Filioque is probably the large one that comes to mind though, as it was someone actively changing the creed to suit a theological interpretation without even discussing it as en ecumenical matter.

A lot of it was political, such as the Bishop of Rome crowning Charlemagne as Roman Emperor, when it is traditionally the job of Constantinople.

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.
30-09-2010, 09:07 PM

Ah - the 'power trip'. yes.

I am surprised that the media only ever focus on the Church of Rome as being the one with the Pope, and just ignoring the following of the Orthodox Churches (with all their leaders) as though they don't exist, when there have been many Orthodox worshippers and churches here, all over the UK, for some time.

It just gets zero coverage here.

In their own countries, the following is huge and the media attention is huge.

Shall we let, say, Rupert Murdoch know? Smile
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM

It is sad that the only coverage the Orthodox Church gets is because of persecution in Egypt or to cover a "cultural event" in Greece.

Looking at the BBC News, the only mentions of Orthodoxy in the news this year was the Bombing of a church in the Ukraine, picturs of "Orthodox Christmas" (covering Russian, Serbian and Greek ceremonies) and a land dispute in Palestine (with Byzantine clergy shown).

No coverage of the new Syriac Catheddal, or Glastonbury Pilgrimage. *sigh...*

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved