The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Enquirers Info.
06-04-2010, 11:48 AM

Dear Tom,

If you look in on the conversation thread to the most recent posts, you'll find a discussion going on most relevant to your concerns.

My eldest son is a Baptist pastor at an Independent Church in the Midlands, and so my view of that side of things is rather influenced by my love for him. He spends every Saturday morning with a group of people in the local town market square evangelising; I spend Saturday morning reading the Telegraph and recovering from the working week Sad So I am in no position to cast any stones, even were I so inclined.

Of course, for the Orthodox, the way in which we worship the Lord is central to our faith, and you could reconstruct our theology from our worship. So, yes, we think it important to pay homage and to give praise in a proper way; but there is no inherent reason why the way you do it should not be all those things. We take the view that the bread and the wine are sacramentally the Body and Blood of Our Lord, we do not view them as purely symbolic, although in the Orthodox tradition the symbol is part of what it symbolises, not something separate.

As for mission, we are all charged with that, although some do it better than others.

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
Enquirers Info. - tombaker1709 - 06-04-2010, 08:23 AM
[] - John Charmley - 06-04-2010, 08:40 AM
[] - tombaker1709 - 06-04-2010, 09:03 AM
[] - John Charmley - 06-04-2010 11:48 AM
[] - admin - 07-04-2010, 10:57 AM
[] - John Charmley - 08-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved