The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to Christianity
12-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Dear Edmund,

There is indeed an Oriental Orthodox community near you. The British Orthodox Portsmouth mission of Saint Mary the Mother of God and Saint Moses the Black celebrates the Liturgy on the second Saturday each month - which means we're meeting tomorrow. We celebrate the Liturgy in St Faith's Church, 82A Craswell Street, Portsmouth, PO1 1HT. The Church is a few hundred metres along Craswell Street from the Tesco mulit storey car park.

Depending on how quickly we get everything set up we aim to start Morning Incense at 10 a.m. with the Liturgy following around 10.45 ish.

In addition to the monthly liturgies the British Orthodox Portsmouth mission also holds weekly prayer meetings ? Evening Prayer (the monastic office from the Book of Hours or Agbia) at 7 pm Wednesday evenings followed by instruction in the Orthodox Faith or discussion.

I have several lectures on DVD introducing Orthodox Christianity, also introductory reading material - and am happy to meet with you to discuss aspects and asnwer questions.

You can email me direct on <!-- e --><a href="mailto:fr.simon.smyth@copticmail.com">fr.simon.smyth@copticmail.com</a><!-- e -->

One quick point if you should come tomorrow. Do NOT worry about not knowing what to do or getting things 'wrong'. I always tell people coming for the first time that if anyone notices what you're doing anyway, this proves one thing for sure: they weren't concentrating sufficiently on what they were doing! Because if they had been fully concentrating on their own prayers, totally caught up in the love of God - they wouldn't have noticed what you were or weren't doing! So come along - and enjoy yourself,

Simon

Messages In This Thread
New to Christianity - Edmund - 11-02-2010, 10:20 PM
[] - Simon - 12-02-2010 05:11 PM
[] - DanielM - 12-02-2010, 08:44 PM
[] - Edmund - 13-02-2010, 09:00 PM
[] - DanielM - 14-02-2010, 01:13 PM
[] - Edmund - 14-02-2010, 08:34 PM
[] - Antony-Paul - 17-02-2010, 07:29 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved