The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Growth of Orthodoxy
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM

This interesting conversation abuts onto one in another thread where we are looking at another view of Orthodoxy.

Fr. Gregory challenges us here:

Quote:The Orthodox Churches in the West are all too often primarily ethnic culture preservation societies and far too rarely centres of evangelization of the Orthodox Faith. I am strongly in favour of the maintenance of culture ? but not at the expense of the Faith.
and reminds us why the BOC exists.

It is, perhaps natural that we should attract those from an Anglican background who miss the old BCP and the dignified an solemn language of Cranmer, but we might remind ourselves that the 39 articles are pretty Protestant (unless you are a latter-day Newman trying to make them catholic) and treat the eucharist as purely symbolic. And it is here orthodoxy is our staff, for it is what it says; in that sense it is as English as it is whatever nationality you want, for the Good News was, as Fr. Gregory reminds us, delivered to all in their own tongue.

What matters is the content and the spirituality, and one cannot properly access those through a dead language - as the RCC recognised at Vatican II.

Of course the BOC is very fortunate, as in the St. James Liturgy we have something even more beautiful than Cranmer (OK, I'm biased, but I do love Cranmer too). But there remains a great many sheep outside the OC fold, and as Fr. G. reminds us, more escape every year.

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
Growth of Orthodoxy - Neville - 21-12-2009, 11:13 AM
[] - Peteprint - 31-12-2009, 10:11 PM
[] - mikethelionheart - 08-01-2010, 01:53 AM
[] - marc hanna - 26-01-2010, 08:17 PM
[] - Neville - 26-01-2010, 10:32 PM
[] - John Charmley - 05-04-2010 10:01 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved