The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BOC Outside Britain
01-04-2009, 12:19 AM
BOC Outside Britain
Hello Everyone,

My name is Peter and I've just become a member of the fellowship.

Born in Kent, I now live in Australia with my wife and family and have done for the past 30 years.

Whilst Christianity was the religion of my childhood (CofE). Like many of my era I have been studying Hinduism and Buddhism for many years and just recently, in the past 3-4 years, returned to our beloved Lord Jesus Christ, largely through the auspices of Archimandrite Sophrony and Saint Silouan. Last year, whilst visiting England, I was able to spend a few days at The Monestary of Saint John the Baptist in Essex, a truly wonderful experience.

Currently I have no Church, but am considering joining ROCA (Russian Orthodox Church outside Russia). However, I am finding the "cultural shock" quite traumatic and I feel kind of lonely.

Unfortunately there is no Australian Orthodox Church, so what are the chances, if any, of BOC starting up in Australia. Or maybe I should look to the Coptic Orthodox Church?

I have just started reading "Communion of Love" by Matthew the Poor. I can only say, if this is the kind of simplicity, insight, love, reverence and peace I am likely to find at the Coptic Orthodox Church, then please let me in!

I would love to hear from you. Am I being unreasonable in my "struggle" with ROCOR? Is there anyone else sharing my dilemma?

In Christ
peter
01-04-2009, 07:35 AM

Dear Peter

I am also from Kent! Although I still live here.

There is something very attractive about the Coptic Orthodox Church, and I would highly recommend that you visit one or two Churches just to get a feel. I am sure that there will also be a culture shock!

But there is indeed a simplicity about the Coptic Orthodox practice of the faith, even though this doesn't mean that all Copts are saints. Expect real human weakness everywhere because we are all weak humans.

ROCA has gone through a particular history which makes it as it is. I do have problems especially with the insularity it tends to promote. I have always preferred the Coptic model of seeking to be both faithful to the Orthodox Way while also being outward looking.

I cannot say that you should do this or that, only you can discern your path according to God's will. But if you visit one or two Coptic Churches then at least you will have more experience and knowledge to base your decisions on.

God bless you in your pilgrimage

Father Peter

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved