The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Death of Abba Marcos of France
13-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Abba Seraphim's words of tribute
In his letter to Bishop Athanasius offering heartfelt sympathy at the passing of Abba Marcos as well as assurance of prayers and those of the British Orthodox Church for his repose, Abba Seraphim also wrote:

" I am told that many of the Coptic websites in Arabic are already full of messages expressing grief at his passing and praising his many years of devoted service to the Coptic Church. I am delighted that his ministry is so widely recognised as great responsibility for the spread of the Coptic Church in Europe belongs with him. If the Copts have much for which to thank him, then so do many others. His warm ecumenical spirit and open hearted approach to other Christians was not only a good witness to our own church but also helped others to discover the spiritual riches of the Coptic tradition. Having cared for a generation of Copts settled in France, he then extended his ministry beyond the diaspora and brought the Coptic Church to Europeans who desired to embrace the Faith.

My own memories of him over the years are many and happy. He was a generous and warm-hearted companion; gracious in his speech and manner; kind to those who sought his help; discerning of the riches of our Christian heritage, whether Eastern or Western and with a humble simplicity which drew people to him. I value the good spirit which enabled us to co-operate fully at all times, to discuss our concerns and to agree a common mind in mutual practical and prayerful support. I shall miss him."

Messages In This Thread
Death of Abba Marcos of France - Severus - 13-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Abba Seraphim's words of tribute - Severus - 13-05-2008 02:00 PM
[] - Robin Westwood - 13-05-2008, 05:01 PM
[] - Simon - 13-05-2008, 08:58 PM
[] - Michael Kennedy - 14-05-2008, 08:18 PM
The Departure of Abba Marcos - Severus - 18-05-2008, 09:07 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved