The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bin Laden's death - Worldwide celebration?
02-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Bin Laden's death - Worldwide celebration?
Hi everyone

I have a problem today.

I woke up to the news of Bin Laden's death (as everyone did) and turned on the news to see pictures of Christians in the USA shouting "god bless america, Bin Laden is dead!" and having street parties outside the white house.

Am I the only person who, as a Christian, finds this disgraceful? It genuinely disgusted me to see this on TV, and from a nation that calls itself Christian!

I am extremely anti-extremist (I know....ironic!) whether it be Muslim, protestant, Nationalism, the IRA, any group that forces anything through violence I find disgraceful. But is the death of a human being something to be celebrated?

Just seen an article by an American Basketball player that shares this view, and seems to have been stigmatised for it:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-05-02/chris-douglas-roberts-offers-different-perspective-on-death-of-osama-bin-laden#ixzz1LDpEcrs0">http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... z1LDpEcrs0</a><!-- m -->

Aren't we supposed to pray for those who hate us? And not run around shouting "Our enemy is dead, praise be to god for it!" like those extremists we criticise on the TV so often?

What is the "correct Christian response" to an event like this?

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.

Messages In This Thread
Bin Laden's death - Worldwide celebration? - DanielM - 02-05-2011 09:11 PM
[] - Ferdia - 03-05-2011, 05:50 AM
[] - Fr Gregory - 04-05-2011, 05:08 AM
[] - Antony-Paul - 04-05-2011, 01:37 PM
[] - DanielM - 04-05-2011, 07:09 PM
[] - Severus - 05-05-2011, 05:26 AM
bin laden's death - kirk yacoub - 13-05-2011, 11:16 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved