The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Authority
22-04-2010, 05:38 PM

That last paragraph, in particular, is, and I think has to be, what Orthodoxy is about. we easily forget we are a Royal Priesthood, all of us. Yes, some have laid upon them the solemn and onerous responsibility of conducting the Divine Liturgy and preaching the word, and we owe them both a deep debt of gratitude, and all the support we can offer. But, as you say, one of the joys of our tradition is the part the laity play, and it is a full one.

There's not the slightest reason why a man who takes on the heavy vocation of the priesthood should be expected to look after the structure of the Church building or its finances; that's what the rest of us are for. There's actually no reason he should be a great scholar or even a theologian; of course, as we are fortunate to have priests who are, we are spoilt, but we have no right to expect or demand this.

Neither should we seek to evade our responsibilities, which include spreading the Good News. The model with which we have been so familiar in the West, that of the 'man in black' and his obedient flock' may always have had about it something of ther mythical; it certainly is not the model which will spread the Faith in our society.

A faith which can be learned by heart and recited is one which has ceased to live. Orthodoxy gives us the limits within which we can discuss and speculate, but those limits are pretty broad, and the discussion can be all the deeper because we know where the limits are.

I don't know, and would be delighted to know, how far we converts to Orthodoxy are conservative in our nature; a friend once told me it was too obvious even to ask the question, but I'm not as sure about anything as he is about everything. Sometimes I see it more as a desire to know that one is where the Church is, but why that need signify conservatism I remain unsure. As the Spirit lives and moves us, He does not say we are to hide the pearl of great price in a case and curate it; we are to do what the Copts do with us - share it.

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
Authority - John Charmley - 17-04-2010, 08:49 PM
[] - Fr Gregory - 18-04-2010, 06:02 AM
[] - John Charmley - 18-04-2010, 07:26 AM
[] - Fr Gregory - 18-04-2010, 08:55 PM
[] - John Charmley - 18-04-2010, 10:04 PM
[] - John Charmley - 21-04-2010, 04:51 PM
[] - Fr Gregory - 22-04-2010, 07:02 AM
[] - John Charmley - 22-04-2010 05:38 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved