The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Penitent Thief
05-04-2010, 11:56 AM

Dear Daniel,

I agree entirely. To my mind, this passage is one of the most profound and meaningful in the Gospels.

I identify completely with the thief. As a constant sinner, I know that I have only to ask Jesus for His forgiveness and He will cleanse me from my sins and guarantee me eternal love and peace in His heavenly kingdom. What inexpressible joy can come from the horror and cruelty of the crucifixion.

My unworthiness is completely irrelevant. I can never be worthy by myself. But that one prayer to Jesus: 'Lord, help me and save me' can bring me to eternal joy. Being saved by Him is essentially so very simple - profess belief and ask for forgiveness. He has done everything else necessary for our salvation.

My personal problem is that I keep falling into sin, and having to go back to Him for forgiveness, but He never fails me, and He will never fail anyone else who asks sincerely.

Dear Jesus, thank you for the example of the thief!

With love and prayers,
Antony-Paul

Messages In This Thread
The Penitent Thief - DanielM - 04-04-2010, 10:49 PM
[] - John Charmley - 05-04-2010, 09:34 AM
[] - Antony-Paul - 05-04-2010 11:56 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved