The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Happy New Year
05-01-2007, 07:00 PM
British and Orthodox
Dear Michael,

Thank you for this. Elsewhere Peter and I have been taking part in a discussion about Orthodoxy and (for want of a better word) ethnicity. Many Eastern Orthodox seem slightly 'off' even about the idea of having a Western Rite service, which has, after all been approved by the Moscow Patriarchy.

I quite understand, especially in places like America , where Orthodoxy and the diaspora culture are so intertwined, why there should be such an attachment to the liturgy in old Church Slavonic or old Greek, but by the same token, if Orthodoxy is to reestablish itself in this country amongst a large number of people, it is simply going to have to be in English - or not at all.

The Apostles decided all if this, after all, back in Acts 15 at the Council of Jerusalem, when St. Paul's views won the day.

I very much appreciate the way in which the Copts have been so eirenic and so willing to see the needs of mission in this country. Let us hope that 2007 sees further advances for this ancient, and successful, method.

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
Happy New Year - John Charmley - 03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
[] - Michael Kennedy - 04-01-2007, 04:54 PM
The Feast of the Nativity - John Charmley - 04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
[] - Michael Kennedy - 05-01-2007, 05:17 PM
British and Orthodox - John Charmley - 05-01-2007 07:00 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved