The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Growth of Orthodoxy
31-12-2009, 10:11 PM

I understand exactly what you feel. Here, in the United States, it is the same. Other then The OCA (Orthodox Church in America, which many of the other jurisdictions look down upon), approaching the Orthodox Faith entails deciding which ethnic group you feel most comfortable with. You can choose to join a Serbian, Russian, Antiochian, Romanian, Greek church, etc.

I don't see any real solution in the near future, I can only hope that time will take care of it. In the mean time, I will enjoy the Serb, or Russian, or Greek festivals that the churches sponsor.

In my parish, the liturgy book shows the English and Serbian side by side so that I can understand the parts of the liturgy that are being sung in Serbian.

I have the feeling that I would really feel like a fish out of water if I attended the Coptic church here in town.

I remember calling a Russian church several years ago about becoming Orthodox and the priest actually advised me to seek out another Orthodox church. Since I was not Russian he told me I would not feel comfortable attending his parish.

I know that too often converts enter the church and complain about the ethnic factor. I also have read blogs here in the States owned by "cradle" Orthodox that actually refer to the Church as "their" church, and state that converts should be quiet and learn their language.

As for me, I am concentrating on my walk with the Lord and not concentrating on the ethnic aspect of my church. I am there to work out my salvation, not to change mine, or anyone else's ethnicity.

Peter

Messages In This Thread
Growth of Orthodoxy - Neville - 21-12-2009, 11:13 AM
[] - Peteprint - 31-12-2009 10:11 PM
[] - mikethelionheart - 08-01-2010, 01:53 AM
[] - marc hanna - 26-01-2010, 08:17 PM
[] - Neville - 26-01-2010, 10:32 PM
[] - John Charmley - 05-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved