The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Freemasonry and the Orthodox Church
13-05-2008, 07:53 AM

Any suggestion that an Orthodox Christian can also be a Freemason presupposes a profound ignorance of Orthodoxy or of Freemasonry.
Masons often, of course, say that there is nothing in their secret rituals that is in conflict with Christianity ? but then have to admit that, because of the blood-curdling (and secret) oaths they have taken, they are unable to make those rituals available for theological scrutiny. Those who have scrutinized the rituals (and I have authorized copies of all of them) disagree.
Any society which treats with equal sanctity the texts of every religion ? so that the Bible can be replaced by the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita or any other volume of scripture on the altar of a Masonic lodge ? is heretical.
The rituals of Freemasonry are fascinating, but are also unChristian and participation in them is contrary to the teachings of the Orthodox Church.
Any fraternity that proclaims (as Freemasonry does in the ritual of the Royal Arch) that ?the Sacred and Mysterious Name of the True and Living God Most High? in ?Jehovah Jah-Bul-On? (and then explains the latter part of that name by reference to the religion of ancient Chaldea, to Baal and to the ancient Egyptian title, On) is hardly Christian. A fraternity that focuses in its Third Degree on the raising of the body of the murdered Hiram Abiff would seem to overlook the central theological reality that Christianity is concerned with only one ?raising from the dead?.
That here are those who call themselves Orthodox who are happy to swear vain oaths on the Bible in secret rituals to gain the right to participate in exotic quasi-religious ceremonies hardly proves that Orthodoxy and Freemasonry are compatible.
I am happy to debate these matters ? but only with those who are prepared to disclose the text of the rituals they seek to defend. Alas, they may then be subjected to the prescribed penalties (presumably symbolic!) which, in the case of the First Degree is ?that of having my throat cut across, my tongue torn out, and with my body buried in the sands of the sea at low-water mark, where the tide ebbs and flows twice in twenty-four hours? and in the case of the Third Degree is ?that of having my body severed in twain, my bowels taken thence, and with my body burned to ashes, and the ashes thereof scattered to the four winds of Heaven, that there might remain neither track, trace nor remembrance among man or Masons of so vile and perjured a wretch as I should be?.

Fr Gregory

Messages In This Thread
[] - admin - 31-01-2008, 09:05 AM
[] - Basil 20 - 02-02-2008, 12:03 PM
[] - John Mark - 04-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Freemasonry - ianaird - 12-05-2008, 05:19 PM
[] - John Charmley - 13-05-2008, 02:00 AM
[] - Fr Gregory - 13-05-2008 07:53 AM
Thanks for the Feedback - ianaird - 13-05-2008, 09:03 AM
RE: Thanks for the Feedback - G.E.Hoostal - 07-02-2013, 05:49 AM
[] - admin - 13-05-2008, 12:24 PM
general conversation - Walter - 14-05-2008, 09:04 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved