The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just Judgement?
20-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Just Judgement?
This will perhaps sound a little confused but I thought I would bring up a couple of areas to do with Britains current situation, socially and politically, and Christianity as well as my own political views. This is merely out of interest, it would be good to see what others think and get guidance in reconciling secular views with Christianity.

The first query I thought of was when reading about Anglo Saxon kings and their Christian laws. I wonder how right is it to judge others when Christ told us to be wary of such judgement. For instance it is my opinion that the British nation needs a renewed, Christian based morality as currently (especially amongst the youth) ideas of right and wrong are dissapearing. You could say Britain was becoming an amoral society in some respects. What right have I got to judge and wish for a renewal, is this a Chrisitan position? Most Christians believe in order, the state, and just laws, most also completly oppose the evils of Anarhcism and Communism. For intance, I would favour tougher penalities in law on criminals for instance and I would favour using the states power and local gov. power to encourage marriage, family values, the Church, etc. Is this the unwise judgement Christ warned of, or is this the activity of a good Christian and patriot?

The second area is how far should the state be 'religious'. I have in a way formed my own opinion of the states duty (in terms of secular reasoning) that reconciles itself with my Christianity. Namely that the state should reflect its nation (i.e. the ethnic groups of the English, Welsh, Scottish and N.Irish collectively known as the British) and Christianity still maintains an important role in our ethnicity. Thus the state still should support our Chrisitian institutions, festivals, church etc in a way that it wouldnt do for other religions. The instrusion of Islam into the public sphere is something I am opposed to whilst the pushing away of Christianity is something that concerns me - the reasoning however is secular (let me clear I support religious freedom for all, both in terms of Christianity and secular reasoning. I am purely talking about the public sphere/the states role, or the local councils role in promoting and defending the religion of our nation).

What is the religious justification for this beyond the reasoning that God empowers a nation-state, a monarch, a leader etc. I assume it is simply that God is true, Christianity is correct and therefore it must be so, but such reasoning does not bode well in the liberal democracies of Europe. On the other hand the above secular reasoning really has nothing religious about it, on the assumtion that God is true one does not need anymore reason than that for the state to defend His Church (whilst, of course, maintaining Christian values in the Church's treatment of all humans). From this perspective is there any real religious argument against not preserving the Christian institutions, celebrations, festivals, attitudes and values, states-role that are in the British nation-state?

This is perhaps a rather confused posting without any direct questions. Just thought it would be an interesting point of discussion. I realise that some of the above will refer to Anglican institutions but this post really refers to Christianity as a whole but I welcome, obviously, Orthodox views on it.

Name: Louis

Occupation: Student studying History and Politics at Newcastle University.

Church: A member of Saint Felix's British Orthodox community in Norfolk.

Messages In This Thread
Just Judgement? - Louis - 20-12-2007 01:40 PM
Good questions - John Charmley - 20-12-2007, 02:44 PM
just judgement - kirk yacoub - 21-12-2007, 09:54 AM
[] - Louis - 21-12-2007, 11:01 AM
just judgement - kirk yacoub - 22-12-2007, 09:52 AM
[] - John Charmley - 22-12-2007, 03:48 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved