The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Finding out
11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Finding out
Hi,
I have posted a few times before on different things! I am really keen to find out more, if you could help.

I am wondering whether you offer a new persons course or whether someone could pair up with me to help me find out more. I am keen to learn about orthodoxy and different things in it.

(sorry to be unclear I didn't know how to word it)

Tom

PS do you have a youth work, youth council?
11-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Hi Tom

There is an enquirers course which everyone takes part in when they begin to discover Orthodoxy. If you speak to any of the clergy sch as Fr Peter or Fr. Simon I am sure they will be happy to help you out.

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.
12-05-2010, 02:27 PM

Dear Tom,

Further to Daniel's reply, you may have a little delay contacting our priests because they are about to go to Egypt for a week or so. I'm sure they will reply to you when they get back. I suggest you email Father Simon as he has a stock of the material for enquirers - <!-- e --><a href="mailto:fr.simon.smyth@copticmail.com">fr.simon.smyth@copticmail.com</a><!-- e -->

In the meantime, if you have a particular problem, or need an urgent answer, please feel free to contact me (Daniel will be away too) and I'll do my best to fill in until they get back.

With love and prayers,
Antony-Paul
13-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Enquirers Course
Dear Tom,

As a follow on from the postings by Daniel and Antony-Paul I can explain that we have a series of 6 DVDs each containing 2 lectures and that these 12 lectures work through the basics of Orthodox Christian belief. There is also some supplementary reading to accompany some of the lectures. We are happy to post you a set for you to work your way through and also will be happy for you to ask any questions whatever that you have. My email is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:fr.simon.smyth@copticmail.com">fr.simon.smyth@copticmail.com</a><!-- e --> - if you want to email me an address I will do my best to post a set to you before leaving for Egypt this Sunday. I can also include a DVD of British Orthodox worship.

As well as studying the enquirers' course I also recommend to people to buy a copy of the British Orthodox prayer book Glory to God which can be bought from Lulu publishers (I think there may be a link through the British Orthodox website). There is a handy pocket sized edition now available.

If you want any insight into the course and whether they have found it any help you could always ask several people on here what they thought of it, for example vrc, DanielM, Edmund.

Hope this helps – will include you in those we bring before God by name in the sacred heart of the Liturgy when we celebrate Ascension Day in our Bournemouth Church this afternoon.

Simon

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved