The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sola Paradosis?
02-05-2009, 06:13 PM

Hi Rick

I am reading the paper now, and following one of the early notes I see a reference to this work,

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DDb5lGnf39MC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Jonathan+Edwards:+Philosophical+Theologian#PPR5,M1">http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DDb5 ... an#PPR5,M1</a><!-- m -->

which contains a chapter on Edwards and Divinization, which I will read with interest a little later.

This volume is edited by Oliver Crisp with whom I have corresponded a little in regard to the 'sinful nature' of Christ. I remember that he has a great interest in Edwards.

Father Peter
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Dear Father Peter,

Thanks for sharing that with me. I read what was there of chapter 11 in the link you supplied and it is somewhat funny to me to consider what Constantinople has in common with Northhampton. I thought it was interesting, in light of my friends paper, to read that just as Maximos was charged with Pantheism, so was Edwards. I guess it is as the author of the essay in chapter 11 says, 'when a certain language/vocabulary is used it is easy to be misunderstood.'

Well, I thought I might give you a treat (in terms of what 'it' might look like) via "Maximos and Edwards;" but, as I can see you have already had an introduction to some of this thinking by way of "Palamas and Edwards." I think there are more than a few who would love to see a common ground which includes the Orthodox and the Reformers (and others) Smile.

Thanks again.

In Christ,
Rick
27-07-2013, 12:00 AM
RE: Sola Paradosis?
How are you finding they cope with your Orthodoxy? Are they hostile towards it?

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved