The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Orthodoxy in Scotland
29-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Orthodoxy in Scotland
Does the BOC have any plans to plant a church in Scotland in the near future?

I know of one Orthodox Church whose clergy travel and do a service once a month in different areas butdue to the nature of my job I can't make their service on a Saturday morning.

If the BOC isn't planning anything for scotland, does anyone know of any other Orthodox Churches I could maybe attend?
30-08-2008, 09:43 AM

Hi Bro. Darren.

We would always support efforts to plant a prayer group in any area, which could develop into a liturgical centre and then a community. But it always needs at least one local person to be committed.

Whereabouts in Scotland are you? There are other Orthodox churches you could perhaps attend.

But you could also consider starting an Orthodox Prayer Group to see if other share your interest.

Best wishes

Peter
30-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Thankyou peter,

Starting a prayer group is something I would be happy to do. I am based in Arbroath and the closest Orthodox Church is that of St Andrews, but they only come to Dundee (at the university) monthly, if the website is up to date.

There is also a Coptic Orthodox church in Kirkcaldy, Fife but that is a bit further. Any others are about 100 miles at least away.

So how would one go about starting a prayer group with the support of BOC?
31-08-2008, 10:53 AM

Dear Bro. Darren,

Just yesterday I received some information about a day conference being held at Kirkaldy. You might be interested in attending. I certainly would if I could get there.

Here are the details...

=======================================

I am pleased to send you the details of the talks of Sept. Conference as follows:

Speaker: Fr. Tadros Yacoub Malaty

Inner Joy is the way to victory

Friday 19.09.08:
Talk 1 ( Joy: is it the way or a choice? is it optional or essential?)
Saturday 20.09.08
Talk 2 ( The Gift of Joy and snare of sadness)
Talk 3 ( Suffering : gift or snare? how to be joyful during suffering)
Talk 4 ( Repentance, the Joyful way to the kingdom)
Talk 5 ( Joy in Prayer: the ultimate joy in the liturgy)
Sunday 21.08.09
Talk 6 ( Obstacles to Joy and how to grow in Joy)
Talk 7 ( The Joyful life in Christ)

bookings by e-mail to Sandy Kirolos : <!-- e --><a href="mailto:sandy_kirolos@hotmail.com">sandy_kirolos@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->

Please find attached also some suggestions to transportation from different station and airports.

Please try as much as you can to make your arrival times around 6 to 7 pm on Friday to have more convenient transportation. The Venue is around one our from Edinburgh airport.

=====================================

In regards to a prayer group. Do you have either the British Orthodox Fellowship Handbook, or the British Orthodox Prayer Book? A prayer group, and many of our congregations if the priest is away, use the service of Morning or Evening Prayer from those books.

This lasts about 20 minutes, and can be supplemented by the reading of an Orthodox homily, which we can provide. Or more extended teaching texts, or even a CD with audio teaching. One of the aims is to experience Orthodoxy through practicing Orthodoxy, as far as folk feel able.

If there was interest in your area and you managed to develop a group which met regularly, then visits can be arranged to provide other experiences and teaching.

The Prayer Book can be ordered from here ...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lulu.com/content/1323714">http://www.lulu.com/content/1323714</a><!-- m -->

and the Fellowship Handbook from here ...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lulu.com/content/364261">http://www.lulu.com/content/364261</a><!-- m -->

Do let us know what you might want to do after praying about the matter and we will help you as far as we are able. I am up in Stirling fairly often to visit my wife's family so if you did get something started then I am sure that I and others could support you in a variety of ways. Even videos of teaching material.

Best wishes

Peter
01-09-2008, 12:12 PM

Hello peter,

no, I don't have the two books as yet, but I will be getting them.

Yes, I would like to start a prayer group in my area, so if there is anyone else from the Angus area please pm me and we could get something started.
02-09-2008, 07:03 PM

Hi Darren

Well if you get the books and let us know how you get on with them then we can see about helping to advertise etc in your area and make other arrangements.

Let us know when they turn up.

Best wishes

Peter
12-09-2008, 09:54 AM

Well thats the books ordered so should have them shortly. See how I get on
24-05-2009, 11:36 PM

It has been a while since I posted any reply, but after much prayer and soul searching I feel now is right for me to turn to Orthodoxy

As far as I can see, the BOC still doesn't have a Church in Scotland, but I would like to startbe part of a prayer group up here

I would also like to know more about the process of converting to Orthodoxy from Roman Cathlocism, what would be invloved etc, if anyone could give assistance
25-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Dear Darren,

If you have worked through what might be called the intellectual side of conversion, considering the doctrines of Orthodox Christianity and are now wanting to actually join us, then I would suggest the next step would be to begin Orthodox worship and attend with Orthodox congregations.

Although we don't currently have a British Orthodox congregation in Scotland there are Oriental Orthodox liturgies celebrated in Scotland both Coptic and Indian Orthodox. So perhaps to begin a prayer group as Fr Peter suggests and at least four times a year to attend an Orthodox liturgy might be the way forward.

Without giving too much personal information away are you able to indicate roughly where you live? This might help to locate Orthodox worship in geographical relaiton to you.

Simon
25-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Dear Simon, thanks for your advice

I am in tayside, I know of a monthly service in Dundee, by the Greek Orthodox Church, but as its on a Saturday morning, I can not make it

There is also a Coptic Orthodox Church in Kirkcaldy but I have not manage to make contact yet
25-05-2009, 07:58 PM

Dear Darren,

The Indian Orthodox have worship in Aberdeen (three quarters of an hour from Tayside? Though I live near Portsmouth so it's all hundreds of miles from me and I may be completely wrong!!!) so I will try to find out when they are there. They are busy welcoming their new bishop at the moment but I will see what I can find out for you. In their London Church they worship in English and Malayalam on alternate weeks so it's in English twice a month - though I appreciate the Aberdeen service may be monthly as is their Portsmouth service and may be in Malayalam, not English. Anyway I will see what I can find out for you.

Simon
25-05-2009, 09:07 PM

I have managed to get in contact with Fr Aziz of St Marks Coptic Church in Kirkcaldy tonight, so I am plannig on attending a service on Sunday, where a family are to be Baptised into the Church and hopefully have a chat and find out more afterwards
27-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Dear Darren,

That's good news - let us know how you get on.

Simon
27-05-2009, 09:05 PM

Dear Simon,

thankyou, yes, I shall let known how it goes

One question, i have never been to a Coptic Church before, is there anything I should be aware of on entering, as in taditions that should be followed so I do not offend anyone
05-06-2009, 07:17 AM

Dear Darren,

I am sorry but I was not around to read your posting before your visit to the Coptic Orthodox Church to offer any thoughts on things you might do or not do but hopefully everything went fine - do let us know how you got on.

Simon

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved