The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New martyr in Iraq
11-04-2008, 08:18 AM
New martyr in Iraq
By now you will have heard of the martyrdom of Father Youssef Abdel Abboudi, a Syriac Orthodox priest who was shot dead in Baghdad on Saturday, 6th April. For a movingly spiritual response to this please see
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/SOR-Forum/message/911">www.groups.yahoo.com/group/SOR-Forum/message/911</a><!-- w -->
Notice that the Syriac Orthodox Bishop of Baghdad and Basra is not laying the blame at the feet of Muslims, but points out that "hand of the devil" is working against all religious people in Iraq, whether Christians or Muslims.
I would ask everyone to prayer for the soul of the martyr Youssef Abdel Abboudi, so that he may pray for us. Pray also for the comfort of his family and parishioners. Every day I pray for the intercession of Mary Yoldath Alodo (Theotokos) and all of the saints to bring comfort,strength and hope to all Christians in Iraq who are striving to keep alive Her Son's
Holy Church.
Kirk Yacoub
11-04-2008, 08:41 AM

Dear Kirk,

We shall add the martry to our prayers - but how long, Lord, how long?

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)
11-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Condolences on behalf of the British Orthodox Church
You may be interested in the message recently sent by Abba Seraphim to Mar Athanasius Dawood, the Patriarchal Vicar of the Syrian Orthodox Church in the United Kingdom:

"My dear Mar Athanasius, beloved brother in Christ,

Grace and Peace be multiplied unto you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ !

The tragic news of the martyrdom of Father Yousef Adel Abboudi, parish priest of St. Severus the Great Church in Baghdad has shocked us all and I hasten to offer to Your Eminence, as the representative of the Syrian Orthodox Church in this country, my condolences and assurance of prayers. The trials of our Christian brethren in Iraq are a source of much anguish to us and we pray daily for the peace of that troubled country and especially for the safety and welfare of all the ancient Christian communities whose home it has been since the earliest times.

The Syrian Orthodox Church, as a venerable and much respected member of our Oriental Orthodox family, has suffered much since the invasion of Iraq by the Coalition forces, and we are still shaken by the cruel murder less than two years ago of Father Boulos Iskander Behnam, the priest of St. Ephrem's Church in Mosul. The involvement of the forces of the Crown in Iraq gives us greater responsibility to care for the safety of the vulnerable Christian minorities and I am encouraging both clergy and faithful of the British Orthodox Church to add their voices to those of other concerned Christians in urging their members of parliament and government ministers to address these concerns urgently.

You know that as well as commemorating this new martyr of the church, we shall continue to hold you all in our prayers. When the opportunity occurs, please pass my condolences and those of the British Orthodox Church to His Eminence Mar Severios Hawa, Archbishop of Baghdad and Basra as well as to His Holiness Mar Ignatius Zakka, Patriarch of the Antioch and all the Orient.

Commending myself to your prayers.

Affectionately & fraternally in XP,

+ Seraphim

Metropolitan of Glastonbury
British Orthodox Church
within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria"
11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Memorial Service in London
Abba Seraphim received the following invitation to attend a Memorial Service this coming Sunday but, unfortunately, he will be in Norfolk. I hope that some of our forum members will be able to attend:

Dear Mertropolian Seraphim,

The Iraqi Syriac Orthodox Church in the UK is holding a Holy Mass and a Memorial Service for our beloved late the Martyr Fr. Yousif Adil Aboudi. He was martyred in Baghdad on Saturday 5th April 2008 by bullets fired by unknown gang just as he had arrived at his home. He had died immediately and he became the latest on the list of Christian Martyrs.
While we denounce this barbaric, cowardly and inhuman act, we pray to our Lord Jesus Christ to grant Fr. Aboudi His everlasting Peace. We also ask the Lord to comfort and support his widow, elderly parents, relatives and everyone in the Syrian Orthodox Church in Iraq .

Date: 13th April 2008
Time: 04:30 pm
Place: St. Dunstan's Church, Friars Place Lane, London , W3 7AW

We appreciate your attendance and may the Peace of our Lord be with you.

Athanasius Toma Dawod
Archbishop of the Iraqi Syriac Orthodox Church UK
12-04-2008, 08:30 AM
new martyr in Iraq
I thank all those who have responded to the martyrdom of Father Youssef.
I will most definitely be at the memorial service tomorrow, 13th April.
Kirk Yacoub

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved