The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum
Veneration of Icons - Printable Version

+- The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum (http://britishorthodox.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Knowledgebase (/Forum-Knowledgebase)
+--- Forum: Ask a Question (/Forum-Ask-a-Question)
+--- Thread: Veneration of Icons (/Thread-Veneration-of-Icons)

Veneration of Icons - Dougherty - 20-04-2012 11:54 PM

SO ive mostly been to Greek Churches where when venerating an icon you cross yourself ask for intercession then kiss the hands of the Icon with your lips. I THINK what I have seen in Coptic churches is they kiss their hand and touch the icon? I am curious how does the BOC venerate icons?

RE: Veneration of Icons - DanielM - 21-04-2012 09:34 PM

Christ is Risen.

When kissing the Icons we follow the Coptic tradition. We touch the icon with the tips of the fingers and then to bring the hand to the mouth and touch the lips with the finger tips.

RE: Veneration of Icons - Dougherty - 21-04-2012 10:28 PM

any specific placement on Icon? feet, hands, shoulder?

RE: Veneration of Icons - DanielM - 22-04-2012 08:51 PM

usually the feet of the Saint or corner of the Icon. I have never seen any specific placement with people in Church though.

RE: Veneration of Icons - Dougherty - 23-04-2012 01:13 AM

i see... i kinda like the EO way better feels more intimate... Oh well i cant help but chuckle when i see people take things from the Priest it looks like he is playing slaps... :-p

RE: Veneration of Icons - Dougherty - 23-04-2012 10:37 AM

someone should write a book titled "a practical guide to Orthodoxy" where they spell out how to do the gestures and what not, what they mean, why they are done, etc. lol Id buy it :-p

RE: Veneration of Icons - DanielM - 23-04-2012 06:25 PM

If you go on the "education support" section of the Forum Fr Simon has written quite a bit on "What we do in Church." Most things are covered there.

RE: Veneration of Icons - Dougherty - 25-04-2012 12:35 AM

really? i wonder why i never saw it over there