The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum
Obedience - Printable Version

+- The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum (http://britishorthodox.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Knowledgebase (/Forum-Knowledgebase)
+--- Forum: Ask a Question (/Forum-Ask-a-Question)
+--- Thread: Obedience (/Thread-Obedience)

Obedience - James-Antony - 26-03-2012 11:10 AM

Greetings can anyone give light to how, why and what obedience has to do with the Orthodox Church and being Orthodox. Surely it is supposed all down to faith and belife?

RE: Obedience - Dougherty - 27-03-2012 11:08 PM

I am most certainly not a source of authority on this, however I suggest a study of David's Life.

He is one who had a very intimate understanding of obedience to Gods raising up of Authorities. Even after God declared him king he submitted to the authority of Saul.

RE: Obedience - DanielM - 28-03-2012 10:39 PM

Hi james, maybe you should look at the sayings of the Desert Fathers or your copy of the sublime life of Monasticism. That mentions a lot about expectations of obedience to the heirarchy of the Monastery.

Also, when it comes to Orthodoxy, Obedience is a key virtue. "Although He was a Son, He learned obedience through what He suffered, and being made perfect He became the source of salvation to all who obey Him." (Hebrews 5:8-9) Clement of Alexandria also reminds us that "To be educated in the knowledge of God, the human will must go through several developmental, pedagogical stages. Obedience is clearly addressed to the 'genuine' and 'rational' will."

Another important thing is that the Bishop is the Ikon of Christ on Earth, as is the Priest, therefore to show obedience to him is to show obedience to God. In the same way, to show obedience to the Church as our Mother and to respect her Orthodoxy is to keep the commandment to "Honour your mother and Father" as the will of God states.

So obedience is both spiritually beneficial and Orthodox since it allows us to improve our own virtues and to keep the will of God.

James, here is a good article on the matter by Bishop Kallistos Ware.

RE: Obedience - James-Antony - 22-06-2012 03:07 PM

I have in the past have had some difficuilty in getting back into the Forum to reply to the two persons who sent in replys to my topic on Obedience.
Thank you for all the advice and book refernces.
I had thought as many other do that if you turned up before the liturgy gosple, received communion. That your Christian duty was done until next Sunday. Have any of the other furom members have any other suggestion on this subject. I mean where will get time to read with all the football on?
James-Antony

RE: Obedience - Dougherty - 23-06-2012 01:08 AM

(22-06-2012 03:07 PM)James-Antony Wrote:  I have in the past have had some difficuilty in getting back into the Forum to reply to the two persons who sent in replys to my topic on Obedience.
Thank you for all the advice and book refernces.
I had thought as many other do that if you turned up before the liturgy gosple, received communion. That your Christian duty was done until next Sunday. Have any of the other furom members have any other suggestion on this subject. I mean where will get time to read with all the football on?
James-Antony
HAHA commercials? lol I really never started reading until i got a kindle, traditional books knock me out in a matter of sentences but a digital screen can keep me enthralled all day lol

RE: Obedience - DanielM - 25-06-2012 07:16 AM

I am sure that Pope Shenouda has written on the subject, you could check that out. Otherwise reread that bishop Matteas book on Monasticism, that speaks a lot on it also.

RE: Obedience - James-Antony - 25-06-2012 09:52 PM

Greetings Daniel,
I have done a lot of reading on monasticism but for most of the members this would only apply to monks and they also may not realise that obedience is an everyday thing in the Orthodox faith, and I am looking for ordinary thoughts from people and less looking at books
James-Antony