The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum
protoevangelium of james - Printable Version

+- The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum (http://britishorthodox.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Knowledgebase (/Forum-Knowledgebase)
+--- Forum: Ask a Question (/Forum-Ask-a-Question)
+--- Thread: protoevangelium of james (/Thread-protoevangelium-of-james)

protoevangelium of james - DanielM - 25-04-2011 07:18 PM

hi everyone

Does anyone know eher I could get a trustworthy translation of this non-canonical text.

Also, what is the general view on it?
I know that many Orthodox traditions on the Theotokos come from it, but also that it is non-canonical.

protoevangelium of james - kirk yacoub - 26-04-2011 08:23 AM

Dear Daniel,
Shlomo!
Yes, I have read a translation of this work which, though non-canonical, does seem to have mant important pieces of information. I cannot remember who translated this text, but it was in one of a two-volume scholarly work devoted to translations of New Testament Apocrypha.
Try dear old google to find out!

Kirk Yacoub

- Severus - 02-05-2011 06:56 PM

Although a non-canonical book, the Protoevangelium is the source of many apocryphal stories about our Lord which find their way into the Qu'ran. This would logically suggest that either the Protoevangeium is of greater canonical authority than the four Gospels or that Mohammad, the prophet of Islam, had been taught about Christianity from apocryphal rather than canonical sources.

- Dougherty - 03-05-2011 05:55 AM

Severus Wrote:Although a non-canonical book, the Protoevangelium is the source of many apocryphal stories about our Lord which find their way into the Qu'ran. This would logically suggest that either the Protoevangeium is of greater canonical authority than the four Gospels or that Mohammad, the prophet of Islam, had been taught about Christianity from apocryphal rather than canonical sources.
yes but it also has been under a lot of scrutiny and come up having some false information, as far as we can tell, that is

- DanielM - 04-05-2011 07:12 PM

I find it interesting that it is almost forgotten about in the west these days though both Orthodox and Catholic Churches get most traditions and feasts of St Mary from this very source.

Also from the looks of it, and the number of languages it was translated into, this was the most widely read text in the Church in the 2nd century.