The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum
Egyptian Revolution/Middle Eastern and North African protest - Printable Version

+- The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum (http://britishorthodox.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Lounge (/Forum-General-Lounge)
+--- Forum: General Conversation (/Forum-General-Conversation)
+--- Thread: Egyptian Revolution/Middle Eastern and North African protest (/Thread-Egyptian-Revolution-Middle-Eastern-and-North-African-protest)

Egyptian Revolution/Middle Eastern and North African protest - DanielM - 09-03-2011 12:53 AM

I can't help but notice the lack of activity on here, and that there has been no discussion on the revolution in Egypt and the current events in Libya and Saudi Arabia.

Anyone want to share any thoughts?

Egyptian revolution etc.. - kirk yacoub - 20-04-2011 08:22 AM

The silence, Daniel, is probably due to the fact that the events in North Africa and the Middle East are very political. With the unrest now spread to Syria the Syriac Orthodox Church has participated in vigils for peace. Christians can only pray and express the Gospel, we cannot take up arms.
The fact that the situation in Libya is being made worse by outside intervention, and the fact that many unpleasant regimes(eg Saudi Arabia) are concerned "allies" to Western governments means that ordinary people who possess neither power nor influence will end up,as usual, kickede in the teeth. I don't want to go into any political analysis here, so let it suffice for me to say that we must pray for all the people involved and proclaim Christ's Gospel of love, not only for one's neighbour but, in particular, for one's enemies.

Kirk Yacoub