The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum
St Paul's view of Christ - Printable Version

+- The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum (http://britishorthodox.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Knowledgebase (/Forum-Knowledgebase)
+--- Forum: Ask a Question (/Forum-Ask-a-Question)
+--- Thread: St Paul's view of Christ (/Thread-St-Paul-s-view-of-Christ)

St Paul's view of Christ - vrc - 23-11-2010 05:19 PM

When St. Paul mentions that Christ was made a 'little lower than the angels', was he confused? What could he possibly mean when, as I understand it,:

He is part of the Holy Trinity; and
He is the Logos 'through Whom all things were made'
He was begotten, not made...

?

st paul's view of Christ - kirk yacoub - 10-12-2010 09:54 AM

As far as I recall, out of the top of my winter-frozen head, St Paul refers to us human beings as being "a little lower than the angels", not Jesus Christ.

Kirk Yacoub

st paul's view of Christ - kirk yacoub - 13-12-2010 09:32 AM

Dear vrc,
With icicles and cobwebs cleared away, I can now give a response to your query.
In the second chapter of his Letter to the Hebrews, St Paul echoes Psalm 8 verses 4-8:
"What is man that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands, thou hast put all things under his feet: All sheep and oxen, yea and the beasts of the field, The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatosver passeth through the paths of the sea."
This should be read in conjunction with Genesis1:26.
Heavily echoing this Psalm Paul writes in Hebrews verse9;
"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man."
And in verse 14:
"Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same, that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil."
And in verse 16:
"For verily he took not on him the natue of angels: but he took on him the seed of Abraham."

Here St Paul is talking about Christ's humanity, that He, the Logos, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, came to us and dwelt among us having taken on human flesh. In taking on human form he became, in that sense, lower than the angels, sharing everything physically with us, an act of enormous humility, done so that he might go through the agonies of a human death in order to combat and destroy death and the power of the devil. At no time does St Paul suggest that that the Logos, the Word, is lower than the angels. Christ referred to Himself as the Son of Man, the suffering servant, and in this way makes us understand just how much he is with us. It also helps us to realise that Christ's Act of Salvation will restore us to what we human beings should be.

To read St Pauls's understanding of Christ's divinity, read the first chapter of his letter to the Colossians.

Kirk Yacoub

- vrc - 13-12-2010 09:59 AM

Thank you, Kirk

That enlarges it in a way in which I can grasp the fuller import and it now makes sense - thank you for taking the time to do that.

Hope the icicles stay away from now until next winter, frankly!!!!