The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum
Experiential Christianity - Printable Version

+- The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum (http://britishorthodox.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Knowledgebase (/Forum-Knowledgebase)
+--- Forum: Ask a Question (/Forum-Ask-a-Question)
+--- Thread: Experiential Christianity (/Thread-Experiential-Christianity)

Experiential Christianity - Mark Fletcher - 25-01-2007 09:46 PM

I am trying to work out in words I can begin to understand, the Trinity in my own personal experience. This is the start I have made:

God the Father: Source of All Being and Consciousness: Unknowable, Transcendent. Spirit.

Holy Spirit: Permeating Presence of Pure Awareness within and around me; the feeling of I AM. Consciousness Itself. The Divine Indwelling.

God the Son: The growing, deepening demonstration of Spirit transforming thought, desire and body in my own experience. "I AM The Way, The Truth and The Life. No-one comes to the Father but by Me."

I realise that there is so much to learn and understand. However, is this simple beginning leading me in the right direction? The core of this recognition is Love and the desire for Union.

Holy Trinity - John Charmley - 25-01-2007 11:40 PM

Dear Mark,
Yes, I think it is leading you in.

I want to look up what St. Cyril of Alexandria says here, because his exact words are helpful, but from fallible memory he writes that God is unknowable in his essence, He is 'I am' - beyond space, time, ineffable, invisible God only wise; He is the Alpha and the Omega.

What we know of God we know through the Son, who is the Incarnate Word, He is the Light, and the darkness knew Him not. He reveals to us the pattern of our salvation, and through His life and His resurrection we are saved; He is the propitiation for our sins.

The Holy Spirit is the comforter through which we continue to know God in this world, and through whom, and in whom He is manifested in His creation.

I will try to find a suitable quotation, but this, I think, is how the God-guided Saint explains things - but pardon me if I have not quoted exactly.

In Christ,

John

Reflection of The Trinity in the soul - Mark Fletcher - 26-01-2007 01:31 AM

FATHER: DIVINE SELF: GOD IS: SOURCE OF ALL BEING AND CONSCIOUSNESS: SPIRIT: DIVINE LIFE, LIGHT, LOVE

Holy Spirit (Being): Self (I Am); 'Individualised' Being; Spirit; Permeating Presence; 'I Am' Awareness; Divine Indwelling; Life, Light and Love as qualities of Being

Son (Becoming/Existence): 'Individualised' becoming; mind/body; self (I exist); life, light and love as qualities in existence. Demonstration of Divinity in thought, emotion, body. "I am the way the truth and the life. No man cometh to the Father but by me." Growing, developing in experience, becoming more like Christ, the Great Exemplar, and expressing, demonstrating, more of the Divine day by day.

On Union with God (Albert the Great) - Mark Fletcher - 26-01-2007 04:01 PM

Today I purchased a copy of Albert the Great's 'On Union with God' in a charity shop on Dover High Street for fifty pence. On the front jacket is a reproduction of the Icon of the Old Testament Trinity by Andrey Rublev (c.1360/70 - 1430) by courtesy of the Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow. I think that this book and icon will help me to understand a little more. Thank you for your helpful remarks. It's good to know that I'm more or less on the right lines in this. Thanks for your posting, John. This book will provide a feast of Truth no doubt when it comes to coming closer to an awareness of the Trinity.

Holy Trinity - John Charmley - 27-01-2007 09:56 AM

Dear Mark,

I'll be interested to hear how you find the book.

Although the definition of the Trinity as such is always said to be a development, the Christian idea has always been of a Triune God. We have always been baptised 'In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit' (Matt. 28:19-20). In the beginning was The Word, and The Word was God, as John tells us (John 1:1). We can only apprehend Him through the Incarnate Word, and through the action of the Holy Spirit.

As St. Paul says: 'we have not received the spirit of this world, but the spirit which is of God'. (1 Cor. 2:12).

Augustine tells us to 'seek His face always', and he wrote most movingly: 'I have sought you intellectually and I have argued much and toiled much. Give me the strength to seek you as you have caused yourself to be found ... When we do attain to you, there will be an end to these many things which we say and do not attain, and you will remain one, yet all in all, and we shall say one thing praising you in unison, even ourselves also being made one in you.'

In Christ,

John