The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum
Favourite saints. - Printable Version

+- The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum (http://britishorthodox.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: General Conversation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Favourite saints. (/showthread.php?tid=424)

Favourite saints. - DanielM - 11-06-2010 10:12 AM

I know that we all love and pray with all of the saints equally, but let's face it, we are also human and must therefore have some which we find more of an inspiration in our lives than others.

This thread is for people to post their favourite saints or generally those they find most inspiring in their lives and why.

Through this we may also be able to hear about the lives of saints some we have never known about, and share the lives of these saints with eachother.

Pray for me,
Daniel

- vrc - 30-09-2010 09:53 PM

Hi Daniel

I don't know too much about the saints just yet, and am looking for good reading matter on the topic. Any suggestions?

The only ones I have seen at Foyles (yesterday) were more or less just dictionaries, e.g all the names in alphabetical order, where they were born and when, but that is of little use to me. I want to know the meat of it - what were their lives like? What were they themselves like?

The whole enchilada, in other words!

books on the Saints - James-Antony - 01-10-2010 01:39 PM

Hello VRC
we meet at the spirituaitly week-end in Bournemouth. you were asking Danial about books on the lives of the Saints. I have one that may help in your quest, details below:
Coptic Saints and Pilgrimages, Author, Otto FA Meinardus.
ISBN 977-424-6926.
You could try Amazon.co.uk or Lulu.com.
It was a pleasure in meeting youkeep well
James-Antony

- DanielM - 02-10-2010 10:37 AM

Hi vrc.

If you are looking for online material I would suggest sites such as http://orthodoxwiki.org which has details on many saints, and <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.copticchurch.net">www.copticchurch.net</a><!-- w --> which has the synaxarium (lives of the saints) and commemorations for each day. If you read the day's commemorations now and then you will learn much about their lives.
I first used it to search for the saints for myself and friends, this of course led onto looking at others.

I have found bookwise, that through many thing such as Reading books about Church history you will encounter the names and lives of many saints, this followed by any supporting reading on saints you wish to know about helps.

One book which I recieved as a baptism gift that helped me this learning about the Desert fathers was "The Sayings of the Desert Fathers" by Benadicta Ward. It has information on the monastic fathers and mothers.

Apart from these, even such things as Wiki are useful. They will generally have their lives and associations, simply knowing these is a good conduit to further study on the subject,

- vrc - 10-10-2010 08:01 PM

thank you both James-Anthony and Daniel - very interesting replies and I shall look into what you suggest.

By the way, I managed to get hold of a copy of The Philokalia, vol.1, that Fr. Simon mentioned on the retreat weekend (ordered it through the inter-library loan scheme, which is just brilliant - it's amazing what books are held in various dusty offices in far-flung libraries in this country).

I have a copy of the Sayings of the Desert Fathers, which is awesome. Love it.

In fact, I think I might start a new thread, asking people about their favourite reading matter....

RE: Favourite saints. - HuberLeanne - 05-07-2012 10:57 AM

Nikolaos the Wonderworker is my favorite saint
i learned that he was a the model for Santa Claus only a few weeks ago!!

typing wpm test

RE: Favourite saints. - DanielM - 11-09-2012 10:52 PM

Haha, brilliant.

I always find it interesting that nobody understands the story behind the anonymous gift giving these days.

RE: Favourite saints. - Cerys Brangwyn - 24-03-2014 09:22 AM

My favourite saints are St Xenia of St Petersburg and St Mary of Egypt. St Xenia was classified as a holy fool and is revered in the Russian Orthodox church. St Mary of Egypt succumbed to much urban temptation, until she was touched by the power of God. She was 29 years old when she altered her life and went into the desert for the next 47 years where the outer temptations became inner ones, but she workrd this through and became very holy and wise. Cerys.