The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum
Film review: Agora - Printable Version

+- The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum (http://britishorthodox.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Lounge (/Forum-General-Lounge)
+--- Forum: General Conversation (/Forum-General-Conversation)
+--- Thread: Film review: Agora (/Thread-Film-review-Agora)

Pages: 1 2

- Antony-Paul - 31-05-2010 06:56 PM

When I was at primary school we were shown 'The Song of Bernardette'. This was the story of Bernardette Soubirou and the apparitions of St Mary at Lourdes. It was a somewhat sugary black and white movie which spent a lot of time looking at the difficulties St Bernardette had as a teenage girl trying to convince her family and the church authorities of the truth of her story.

Inevitably the hierarchy was painted a rather black hue, but she persevered under St Mary's guidance, and ultimately we end up with the miracles and pilgrimage centre at Lourdes, following her death at a young age. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but it did encourage perseverence for the sake of Jesus, and Holy Hope for our ultimate salvation.

I think it was filmed in the 1940's, but have not heard of it for many years.

RE: - Pilgrim - 09-09-2013 07:44 PM

(30-05-2010 08:50 PM)vrc Wrote:  There is definitely a growing trend (I think it may be linked to extreme left-wing politics, like communism, etc.) towards atheism amongst younger people, in the west and, sadly, if their only exposure of Christianity is negative, it leaves them without the option of forming a more spiritually enlightened view.

I did watch the series of programmes called "A History of Christianity", presented by Diarmud MacCulloch, which was good and, I thought, balanced.

I've noticed this too, especially on social media sites like Facebook.

Thanks for the series recommendation - will look out for it Smile

(31-05-2010 10:00 AM)John Charmley Wrote:  I notice that another film about religion 'Of Gods and Men' has just won a prize at the Cannes Film Festival. It is about the murder of seven Cistercian monks in Algeria.

I watched that several months ago, very moving account, I thought.

Also hired the dvd of "Brother Sun, Sister Moon" recently and although I found it dated, I quite enjoyed it - it was nice to sit and watch a film with a few friends that wasn't about Zombies! Big Grin

And talking of series, I also hired the BBC series "Churches: How to read them" by Richard Taylor. Splendid stuff! The presenter has so much infectious enthusiasm for his subject.
For someone like me who's only been re-discovering a Christian path late in (middle-aged) life it was fascinating see the ways that Christianity developed in these islands. The beautiful buildings and interiors were a bonus Smile