The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum
Patriarch Zakka I Iwas in Coptic Liturgy - Printable Version

+- The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum (http://britishorthodox.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Knowledgebase (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Ask a Question (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Patriarch Zakka I Iwas in Coptic Liturgy (/showthread.php?tid=352)

Patriarch Zakka I Iwas in Coptic Liturgy - kirk yacoub - 08-12-2009 09:17 AM

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Shlomo!
I wonder if anyone can help me. There are many in the Syriac Orthodox Church who are curious to know why, when Pope Shenouda III is prayed at every Syriac Orthodox Liturgy, ther same does not happen for our beloved Patriarch Zakka I Iwas. I know that His Holiness is prayed for during the British Orthodox Liturgy but, apparently, he is not prayed for in the Coptic Liturgy.
I will pass on any answers.
With prayers,
Kirk Yacoub

Praying for Patriarch Mor Ignatius Zakka - Severus - 10-12-2009 11:16 AM

Clergy of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate are canonically required to pray for HH Pope Shenouda and his "partners in the Apostolic ministry" Mor Ignatius Zakka, Patriarch of Antioch and Antonios, Patriarch of Eritrea. This is certainly done in the British Orthodox Church, where their names are printed in the service books. If Coptic clergy don't do this it is probably just carelessness and I would encourage anyone who notices this omission to mention it to the priest afterwards.

In the Eastern Orthodox tradition the names of all Patriarchs and heads of churches are listed in the diptychs as a symbol of unity, so it is strange that this isn't done in all our Oriental Orthodox churches. In addition to the Syrian and Eritrean Patriarchs, we should also be praying for the Armenian Supreme Catholicos, the Ethiopian Patriarch and the Indian Catholicos.