The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum
Spiritual Elders - Printable Version

+- The British Orthodox Church - Fellowship Forum (http://britishorthodox.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Knowledgebase (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Ask a Question (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Spiritual Elders (/showthread.php?tid=115)

Spiritual Elders - Leigh Wright - 31-05-2007 12:38 PM

Hi. This is my first posting on the British Orthodox Fellowship Forum since becoming a member in March this year.
I have just completed "The Mountain of Silence" by Kyriacos Markides and have been blessed as I read it. I attend a Baptist Church and am a Deacon at present but I was raised in the Anglican tradition and felt a calling to the priesthood from my lat teens.
Despite being a Deacon and having a minister in our church I feel unable to discuss matters relating to my own spiritual search and would like to have a spiritual elder that I could discuss Orthodox spiritual practices with and share my doubts & experience with.
I live in South Wales and I believe there is an Orthodox Church in Risca (near Newport) and wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of someone who could help me explore Orthodox Christianity and my relationship with God.
Thanks

Spiritual Father - John Charmley - 01-06-2007 02:26 PM

Dear Leigh,

I hope that one of our priests will respond with some helpful advice.

May He bless you in your searching.

In Christ,

John

Spiritual Elders - Leigh Wright - 09-06-2007 06:20 PM

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice regarding my original posting?
Thanks.

spiritual elders - kirk yacoub - 11-06-2007 08:40 AM

Dear Leigh,
As someone who encountered Orthodoxy in a predominantly Roman Catholic country, Poland, I was able to read about Orthodoxy only in books translated into Polish (and it is a wonderful thing that the RC Church in Poland has translated so many works from Eastern and Oriental
Orthodox writers) I can sympathise with your problem.
The best thing to do, I think, is to go to your local library and see what they can find you. Read what you can - and the internet is packed with the writings of Orthodox saints etc - and make notes of what you wish to discuss, then put each question on this forum, hopefully arousing a number of responses. After that, then you will have background in order to formulate personal conversations with practising Orthodox Christians.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Kirk Yacoub

Spiritual Father - John Charmley - 12-06-2007 06:23 AM

Dear Leigh,

I am not sure that there is quite the same tradition of spiritual elders in the Coptic Church as there is in the EO tradition.

The priest at Risca is Father Philopater Wahba, and the Church is St Mary and St Mercurius Coptic Orthodox Church. I shall get an address and number for you.

In Christ,

John

Wales - John Charmley - 12-06-2007 04:03 PM

Dear Leigh,

Abba Seraphim has responded helpfully with the contact details for Fr. Philopater Wahba: St. Mary & St. Mercurius Coptic Church in St. Mary Street, Risca, Newport, Gwent, NP11 (mobile: 07790 720330, telephone: 01633 783259; email: <!-- e --><a href="mailtoTongue.wahba@ntlworld.com">P.wahba@ntlworld.com</a><!-- e -->).

Probably the best contact you could make would be that the other end of Wales: Archimandrite Deiniol of the Wales Orthodox Mission (under the Ukrainians within the Ecumenical Patriarchate) of Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd. Email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:deiniol@copticmail.com">deiniol@copticmail.com</a><!-- e -->.

Abba Seraphim has had some contact with Father Luke Holden, Ecumenical Patriarchate) of 11 Heol Newydd, Dafen, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, SA14 8LS (Tel: 01554-755690; email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:occwales@yahoo.co.uk">occwales@yahoo.co.uk</a><!-- e -->, website: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.orthodoxchurch.co.uk">www.orthodoxchurch.co.uk</a><!-- w -->). He serves Swansea, Lanelli and S.W. Wales.

Hope this helps.

In Christ,

John

Spiritual Elders - Leigh Wright - 12-06-2007 04:49 PM

Thank you for your complete response. I'll let you know how I get on.

God Bless