The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
the cross of a saint
10-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Saints
Dear Kirk,

Thank you for this - and for raising an interesting point. When I was young, at Sunday School we were introduced to the Saints, who were, uniformly, painted as patterns of human beings who were already close to being perfect; I can remember being quite deterred, thinking that if I lived to be very old (oh, about 25!) and prayed a lot, I would never be that good. It quite cheered me up when I came across St. Augustine's confessions and found that I was not the only one whose behaviour had grieved the Lord I claimed to love and serve.

St. Cyril of Alexandria is often portrayed in much of the literature about him as a short-tempered, rather autocratic chap, much given to argumentation and polemic; but on closer examination one sees that what fired his argument with Nestorius was feat for the immortal souls of those who were put into peril by the false teachings of the patriarch of Constantinople. Zeal in the service of the Lord indeed.

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
the cross of a saint - kirk yacoub - 06-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Saints - John Charmley - 10-06-2007 10:31 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved