The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Church and the churches
10-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Dear Peter, Dear Kirk,

No surprise in my agreeing with you both, I guess, but let me elaborate a little more if I can.

We know that the fullness of the Faith is to be found in Our Church; we know God is with us. That is enough. As to where else the Spirit is, that is His business and I should not arrogate to my sinful self His prerogatives.

The Creed is a series of statements, some in apophatic mode, designed to provide a definition of heresy; if one does not hold what the Creed holds, then one defines oneself as being outside the Faith. Some, there are, who have felt able to advance close-reasoned developments of ideas about how it is His body we receive in the Eucharist; or have felt able to turn verses of scripture into the basis for an elaborate system of describing what happens to us after we repose. We choose not to do these things. We choose to stay silent where the early Church stayed silent, recognising that it is in the Eucharistic Feast we truly encounter the Risen Christ, and that in that sacred moment of silence the void in us is filled.

If others reach that in their own way and hold to the Creed, then I am with that great man Bar-Hebraeus. Who shall make windows into men's souls - and with what purpose? Those who die in Faith for Him are to be respected by all of us; those who cannot see that because they wear the blinkers of their own Church need our prayers. Is it any accident that Our Lord spent so much time healing the blind?

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
The Church and the churches - admin - 30-01-2008, 09:46 AM
The Church and the churches - kirk yacoub - 30-01-2008, 10:13 AM
[] - John Charmley - 10-02-2008 10:55 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved