within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Patristic Text Study: St Philoxenus' Discourses
15-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Patristic Text Study: St Philoxenus' Discourses
Dear all,

I pray all is well with you all.

I was hoping members would be interested in taking some time to focus on reading St Philoxenus' Discourses and engaging in what promises, God-willing, to be an enlightening and thought-provoking chapter-by-chapter discussion on this amazing work.

My aim here is two-fold:

1. As some of you may know, I am very passionate about reviving OO patristics in the lives, hearts and consciences of our people and also for the sake of being able to provide a more wholesome portrayal of OO thought to non-OO. I am hoping that this discussion will assist me personally in my pursuit to effect these ends by enhancing and refining my understanding of the text, and by bringing to light issues and implications which I may not have thought of.

2. This work appears to be the only one of its kind, as far as I can tell. I am not aware of any treatise on achieving Christian perfection that has been set out as systematically and comprehensively as this one. I'm sure it will benefit all of us a great deal in our personal pursuit to fulfill our calling as Christians.

So, shall we start with Discourse 1: The Prologue?

P.S. Please remember to pray for me as I sit my final exams (Tuesday 17th and Tuesday 24th). It has been a struggle trying to focus on my studies due to a recent and devastating heartbreak; I need all the prayers I can get.

"Come and incline your ear to the voice of your Mother who gives you life by the sweet music of her voice. Come and suck the sweet milk of Orthodox doctrine from the living breast of the Mother who bore you" - St Philoxenus of Mabug

Messages In This Thread
Patristic Text Study: St Philoxenus' Discourses - AndrewY - 15-06-2008 07:39 AM
[] - admin - 16-06-2008, 11:45 AM
[] - AndrewY - 17-06-2008, 08:15 PM
[] - Fr Gregory - 18-06-2008, 08:23 AM
[] - AndrewY - 19-06-2008, 09:56 PM
[] - AndrewY - 21-06-2008, 11:58 AM
[] - AndrewY - 10-07-2008, 12:45 PM
[] - AndrewY - 16-07-2008, 03:36 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved