The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New martyr in Iraq
11-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Condolences on behalf of the British Orthodox Church
You may be interested in the message recently sent by Abba Seraphim to Mar Athanasius Dawood, the Patriarchal Vicar of the Syrian Orthodox Church in the United Kingdom:

"My dear Mar Athanasius, beloved brother in Christ,

Grace and Peace be multiplied unto you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ !

The tragic news of the martyrdom of Father Yousef Adel Abboudi, parish priest of St. Severus the Great Church in Baghdad has shocked us all and I hasten to offer to Your Eminence, as the representative of the Syrian Orthodox Church in this country, my condolences and assurance of prayers. The trials of our Christian brethren in Iraq are a source of much anguish to us and we pray daily for the peace of that troubled country and especially for the safety and welfare of all the ancient Christian communities whose home it has been since the earliest times.

The Syrian Orthodox Church, as a venerable and much respected member of our Oriental Orthodox family, has suffered much since the invasion of Iraq by the Coalition forces, and we are still shaken by the cruel murder less than two years ago of Father Boulos Iskander Behnam, the priest of St. Ephrem's Church in Mosul. The involvement of the forces of the Crown in Iraq gives us greater responsibility to care for the safety of the vulnerable Christian minorities and I am encouraging both clergy and faithful of the British Orthodox Church to add their voices to those of other concerned Christians in urging their members of parliament and government ministers to address these concerns urgently.

You know that as well as commemorating this new martyr of the church, we shall continue to hold you all in our prayers. When the opportunity occurs, please pass my condolences and those of the British Orthodox Church to His Eminence Mar Severios Hawa, Archbishop of Baghdad and Basra as well as to His Holiness Mar Ignatius Zakka, Patriarch of the Antioch and all the Orient.

Commending myself to your prayers.

Affectionately & fraternally in XP,

+ Seraphim

Metropolitan of Glastonbury
British Orthodox Church
within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria"

Messages In This Thread
New martyr in Iraq - kirk yacoub - 11-04-2008, 08:18 AM
[] - John Charmley - 11-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Condolences on behalf of the British Orthodox Church - Severus - 11-04-2008 05:23 PM
Memorial Service in London - Severus - 11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
new martyr in Iraq - kirk yacoub - 12-04-2008, 08:30 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved