The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Music and the Presence of Jesus
19-02-2007, 08:05 PM

Hi Mark

Thank you for another interesting thread to join in.

I used to have a fairly wide collection of church music, mostly on vinyl so I don't have much of it out of the attic nowadays. I was never greatly touched by the operatic style, though I had some favourite Requiems.

I was helped in my pilgrimage by being given a copy of a tape of the Liturgy of St John Chrysostom in English, while I was at an Evangelical Bible College actually. This had some beautiful choral music, but it wasn't overly complicated.

But I probably agree with you that though I find Orthodox church music often moving it is the simple vocal style of folk music which makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Indeed when I was a teenager in the 70's most Christian popular music was folk music.

I appreciate Sandy Denny's voice, and songs like 'Who knows where the time goes' seem to have a Christian dimension even if they were not meant to.

There are lines like..

Quote:And I am not alone while my love is near me
I know it will be so until it's time to go
So come the storms of winter and then the birds in spring again
I have no fear of time
For who knows how my love grows?
And who knows where the time goes?

Funny but just reading the words makes me choke up a bit since they do seem entirely applicable to my relationship with God.

On a side note, I always feel that I should know all of the liturgy by heart after 13 years of being Orthodox because I can remember words to songs like this one, and other songs I have heard for the first time in years over the last few days. I do know much of the liturgy and other prayers but if I were put in prison would I have to make do with Sandy Denny lyrics, much as I am moved by them?

A good thread Mark.

Peter

Messages In This Thread
[] - admin - 19-02-2007 08:05 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved