The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Journeys to Orthodoxy?
04-10-2006, 09:15 AM
On the road
Quote:During my wilderness period, although for some of the time I continued to attend Anglican services, I was out of communion - as I say very painful. I thought it was right - no one asked me to do it. I think it was right. It is I am sure a mistake to think we must communicate at all times; it is surely not an Orthodox understanding. Many Anglicans hold dear an understanding of a 'spiritual communion', ie one that is passive rather than actively receptive. My point is simply this, that it is right to trust in God and be led by the spirit.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for this, which I found very encouraging. Although I know that I can still go to my local Anglican church, for the moment I have taken the decision not to. Your feeling of being 'in the wilderness' is one I share; but there are times when this seems preferable to being in the wrong place. There is a spiritual aridity about my local Anglican service which does not lift me from where I am.

One of the things that kept me where I was for so long was the feeling that to take a decision to move elsewhere would be a 'protestant' thang to do. But gradually I came to understand that what was motivating me was the desire to be, as I saw it, orthodox and within the tradition of the ancient undivided church - and the realisation that that could not be done in the C of E.

I have decided to go with the flow of this spiritual river and rely upon the Lord to provide.

In Christ

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
Journeys to Orthodoxy? - John Charmley - 26-09-2006, 11:36 AM
[] - Michael Kennedy - 26-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Journeys - John Charmley - 27-09-2006, 01:40 PM
[] - Paul Harrison - 29-09-2006, 10:30 PM
[] - Paul Harrison - 03-10-2006, 08:38 AM
On the road - John Charmley - 03-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Catechumenate - Michael Kennedy - 03-10-2006, 08:33 PM
On the road - John Charmley - 04-10-2006 09:15 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved