within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Holy Fire Ceremony
30-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Holy Fire Ceremony
Hi Everyone

Christ is Risen!

I was on a coptic forum today, and there seems to be quite a debate growing about the holy fire ceremony in Jerusalem.

Is it a 'pious fraud' or a geniune miracle?

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.
02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Testimony of the Armenian Orthodox Patriarch
Abba Seraphim asked the same question of the present Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem, His Beatitude Torkom II, who has held that position since 1994. Patriarch Torkom is highly respected as a man of absolute integity. Although the Greek Patriarch presides at the ceremony of the New Fire, the Armenian Patriarch - by ancient precedent - enters the Edicule with the Greek Patriarch and comes out after him. He answered unequivocally that the 'New Fire' is taken from a light already in the tomb and is not miraculously ignited.
03-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Re: Testimony of the Armenian Orthodox Patriarch
Severus Wrote:Abba Seraphim asked the same question of the present Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem, His Beatitude Torkom II, who has held that position since 1994. Patriarch Torkom is highly respected as a man of absolute integity. Although the Greek Patriarch presides at the ceremony of the New Fire, the Armenian Patriarch - by ancient precedent - enters the Edicule with the Greek Patriarch and comes out after him. He answered unequivocally that the 'New Fire' is taken from a light already in the tomb and is not miraculously ignited.
thats kinda dissapointing... i found out about this "miracle" this year... i did some research and heard stories from two different patriarchs. One said after a prayer a "light" comes forth from the stone, The other said there is a candle within the tomb...
04-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Re: Testimony of the Armenian Orthodox Patriarch
Ferdia Wrote:thats kinda dissapointing... i found out about this "miracle" this year... i did some research and heard stories from two different patriarchs. One said after a prayer a "light" comes forth from the stone, The other said there is a candle within the tomb...

The thing is that the Greek patriarch has always claimed that the fire will only light for him, and the "ONE TRUE CHURCH" from which he means the Byzantine tradition.

It is pretty much a political ploy these by the Byzantines to keep undermining the authority of the Aemenians in Jerusalem. Most Byzantine sources speaking about it have some degrading mention of the Armenians. Sad.

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved