The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
God is Love?
26-03-2007, 08:58 PM
God is Love?
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

I remember reading in Sunday School that 'God is love', but I don't think I really understood what it meant; I wonder if I do now?

I read in 1 Corinthians 13:1
Quote:Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
and in 1 Corinthians 13:12-13
Quote:12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
I am struck, in this context by these words from St. Isaac the Syrian:
Quote:For God, who is good and compassionate, is not in the habit of judging the infirmities of human nature or actions brought about by necessity, even though they may be reprehensible ... God's use of justice cannot counterbalance His mercy. Like a handful of sand thrown into the great sea, so are the sins of the flesh in comparison with the mind of God.
Among all His actions there is none which is not entirely a matter of mercy, love, and compassion: this constitutes the the beginning and the end of His dealings with us.
The same Saint also wrote:
Quote:"When we have reached Love, we have reached God and our journey is complete."
That God should have so loved us that He gave His only-begotten Son to redeem us is, indeed, an act of love beyond anything we can comprehend. And, just as hate begets hate, so does such love beget love for Him.

How does it seem to others?

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
God is Love? - John Charmley - 26-03-2007 08:58 PM
god is love - kirk yacoub - 28-03-2007, 09:00 AM
God is love - John Charmley - 28-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Love and Damnation - John Charmley - 07-04-2007, 11:30 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved