The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Favourite saints.
02-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Hi vrc.

If you are looking for online material I would suggest sites such as http://orthodoxwiki.org which has details on many saints, and <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.copticchurch.net">www.copticchurch.net</a><!-- w --> which has the synaxarium (lives of the saints) and commemorations for each day. If you read the day's commemorations now and then you will learn much about their lives.
I first used it to search for the saints for myself and friends, this of course led onto looking at others.

I have found bookwise, that through many thing such as Reading books about Church history you will encounter the names and lives of many saints, this followed by any supporting reading on saints you wish to know about helps.

One book which I recieved as a baptism gift that helped me this learning about the Desert fathers was "The Sayings of the Desert Fathers" by Benadicta Ward. It has information on the monastic fathers and mothers.

Apart from these, even such things as Wiki are useful. They will generally have their lives and associations, simply knowing these is a good conduit to further study on the subject,

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.

Messages In This Thread
Favourite saints. - DanielM - 11-06-2010, 10:12 AM
RE: Favourite saints. - HuberLeanne - 05-07-2012, 10:57 AM
RE: Favourite saints. - DanielM - 11-09-2012, 10:52 PM
RE: Favourite saints. - Cerys Brangwyn - 24-03-2014, 09:22 AM
[] - vrc - 30-09-2010, 09:53 PM
books on the Saints - James-Antony - 01-10-2010, 01:39 PM
[] - DanielM - 02-10-2010 10:37 AM
[] - vrc - 10-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved