The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Eastern and Oriental Orthodox
26-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Eastern and Oriental
Dear Kirk,

I am relieved that you think I represent our situation accurately.

The following document at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scoba.us/resources/documents/guide_for_orthodox.pdf">http://www.scoba.us/resources/documents ... thodox.pdf</a><!-- m -->
tells us much about the EO attitude towards ecumenism. It would seem as though their view essentially amounts to giving us an opportunity to repent and come across to ask to join them.

This is a little sad. I know of no one who has given the topic any serious thought who believes that we are in any sense 'Monophysite'; 'Miaphysite', yes, but I am at a loss to think of any serious OO thinker who has ever argued that Christ's human nature was in some way overshadowed by and inferior to His divine nature.

The talks about unity long ago revealed that there are no substantive Christological differences, but since the continuation of the split has nothing to do with that any more, it seems to have made little difference. The EO see ecclesiology as a way of perpetuating the split; that is a shame, but of course, their prerogative. They do seem to lack a way of articulating authority, which doesn't help; the way some of the Athonite monks insult the EP seems to suggest that the EO will never find a way of reaching a collective decision. Of course, talks should continue - but we should be aware that the EO see them rather differently than we do.

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
Eastern and Oriental Orthodox - Fr Gregory - 24-04-2007, 07:49 AM
[] - Solly - 24-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Eastern and Oriental - John Charmley - 26-04-2007 05:33 PM
[] - AndrewY - 12-07-2007, 12:45 PM
EO and OO - John Charmley - 12-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Saints - John Charmley - 14-07-2007, 04:25 PM
[] - Fr Gregory - 15-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Eastern and Oriental - John Charmley - 15-07-2007, 08:31 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved