The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Christian foster parents case.
29-03-2011, 03:19 PM

ah, I was hoping this wouldn't come to a discussion about the B&B, as I consider the cases polar opposites.

The case of the hotelier that would not accept a openly homosexual couple to their establishment is awful. I do not see how someone who professes themself a Christian could show such ignorance. Do they not know about the good Samaritan? or the many tales of people inviting strangers and foreigners into their houses? Surely they feared some suspirious actions from these people from abroad? But in their grace they invited them in.

Surely to not offer a home to someone based on their lifestyle is to judge them, and not to give them credit based on their own merits. I know we cannot see homosexual acts as acceptable, but it does not mean we have the right to criticise. We need to remember that such distinguised Orthodox thinkers as Fr. Seraphim Rose struggled with this sin. So who are we to banish people from our establishments because they struggle with sins of their own.

As for the case of the foster parents. I have also read recently that this decision was based on them being asked a hypothetical question along the lines of "if the child asked if homosexuality was acceptable, what would you say?" and they answered by saying it is against God's way. based on this, they were considered unfit to be foster parents, regardless of their record of being great foster parents.

I wonder if they would ask the same to a Muslim or Orthodox Jewish family, knowing what their faith states, and if they would come to the same judgement. Maybe this case shows the lack of acceptence of "undiluted" Christian belief, and an expectance of Christians to be less rigid and steadfast, by the standards of Secular society.

"The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland." - St Herman of Alaska.

Messages In This Thread
Christian foster parents case. - DanielM - 09-03-2011, 12:56 AM
[] - Antony-Paul - 09-03-2011, 07:41 PM
[] - Fr Gregory - 10-03-2011, 07:39 AM
[] - Antony-Paul - 11-03-2011, 01:36 PM
[] - Fr Gregory - 13-03-2011, 02:30 AM
[] - DanielM - 29-03-2011 03:19 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved