The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BOC Conference at Mickfield
11-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Further thoughts
Dear Antony,

Thank you for sharing something of your own joy in the day we spent together; it was a joy for us that you were there.

One of the significant, and to me moving, things was the way in which without any attempt at coordination, all the papers flowed together in the same direction.

Peter started us off well with a very moving talk on Orthodoxy and evangelism, in which he rightly reminded us that evangelism is something we can all do every day by living the Christian life in its Orthodox fulness. It is easy to lose sight of this in plans for grander 'initiatives'. Sheila Smyth reminded us that we should not forget the unique gifts brought to the Church by women, and along with Michael Kennedy's reminder about the importance of the diaconate, and Fr. Serpahim Mina's talk on the priesthood, we came away with a much fuller understanding of how each of us is a member of the body of Christ, and that we each have our role to play - and, as in any body, things work better when every part plays its role and works for the common cause.

Abba Seraphim's address reminded us not only of the way in which we fit into the broader picture of Christianity in the UK, but also of the world-wide role of the Church; but at the same time, he brought us back to the Ignatian vision of the Church being fully there when united around its bishop. It certainly felt like that yesterday. But I wonder if he realised the extent to which he, himself, has contributed to that? We are truly blessed in him and in our priests.

I came to the day feeling more or less exhausted with other things going on in my life - but came away feeling truly blessed and better able to get things into perspective.

It would be good to have such a meeting annually. Perhaps we should run a poll here on that?

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
[] - Robin Westwood - 11-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Further thoughts - John Charmley - 11-05-2008 12:00 PM
[] - admin - 12-05-2008, 08:46 AM
[] - Michael Kennedy - 12-05-2008, 10:34 AM
[] - John Charmley - 13-05-2008, 02:04 AM
[] - Michael - 16-05-2008, 10:53 AM
[] - John Charmley - 16-05-2008, 01:43 PM
[] - Michael - 18-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved