The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Announcing the launch of www.erkohet.com
28-07-2008, 10:04 PM

Dear Andrew

Entering the minefield of Orthodox politics, even inadvertently, is rarely pleasant and never edifying. As a friend commented to me when we were discussing one or other intra-Orthodox fight: ?How inspiring to see how these Christians hate one another!?

There is no easy solution. Anything is capable of causing offence to those who are eager to be offended. However, you might like to add something like (and this is another phrase I hate!) a ?mission statement? to the section of the website dealing with which are the Oriental Orthodox Churches. For example,

?This site seeks to promote knowledge and understanding of the spirituality of the Oriental Orthodox Churches. It is not concerned with, and as far as possible will not include any material on, jurisdictional or administrative disagreements within those Churches. Where it is necessary to describe a situation in which there is disagreement, this will be done as accurately and courteously as possible. While corrections or clarifications are welcomed, this site will not be used to promote or maintain disharmony within the Oriental Orthodox family.?

Your current paragraph on the Indian situation is:

?The Indian Orthodox Church (a generic term I use to denote the Orthodox Christians of India) is, unfortunately, split into two ?groups? (for lack of a better term), one of which remains under the jurisdiction of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch and the other of which has asserted its independence from the Syrian Orthodox Church. Whilst both groups maintain communion with every other Oriental Orthodox Church, the former group has cut communion with the latter on account of this jurisdictional contention. We pray that the Lord will resolve the unfortunate tension and friction between these two groups in due time.?

It might be revised along the following lines:

?The Indian Orthodox Church (a generic term I use to denote the Orthodox Christians of India) currently exists in two jurisdictions: one under the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch and the other which sees itself as independent from the Syrian Orthodox Church. Both groups maintain communion with every other Oriental Orthodox Church. However, Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch is not currently in communion with the other Indian jurisdiction because it disputes its claim to independence. We pray, as should all Orthodox Christians, that the Lord will heal this division and restore unity to His Church in India.?

Do not allow this minor irritation to distract from or diminish your sense of the great importance of your work! Your Syrian Orthodox correspondent has been far more gently handled by you than he would have been by me. There is nothing at all wrong with your original description of the situation. I trust your correspondent feels satisfied that, given the log in his eye, he feels he has found a speck in yours!

In Xto

Gregory

Messages In This Thread
[] - Fr Gregory - 24-07-2008, 06:27 AM
[] - John Charmley - 24-07-2008, 11:02 AM
[] - AndrewY - 28-07-2008, 11:20 AM
[] - admin - 28-07-2008, 12:08 PM
[] - AndrewY - 28-07-2008, 12:29 PM
[] - Fr Gregory - 28-07-2008 10:04 PM
[] - AndrewY - 30-07-2008, 07:49 AM
[] - admin - 30-07-2008, 08:34 AM
[] - AndrewY - 31-07-2008, 11:03 AM
[] - Greg W. - 01-08-2008, 06:29 PM
[] - AndrewY - 05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
[] - AndrewY - 05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
[] - AndrewY - 05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
[] - AndrewY - 06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
[] - AndrewY - 04-05-2009, 08:36 AM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved