The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anglicanorum coetibus and Orthodoxy
06-04-2010, 04:46 PM

This is a fascinating discussion.

I tend to agree with Kirk that we cannot simply regard what happens elsewhere in Christendom as a little local difficulty which has nothing to do with us. As a former high Anglican with long contact with Roman Catholicism, and retaining friends in both Churches, I am deeply saddened by the various crises afflicting both.

But as a convert to Orthodxy, I am at one with Fr. G. I did not flee Anglicanism, it kind of went somewhere else and I found myself left behind. After wandering in the wilderness, during which time Eastern Orthodoxy presented itself as more interested in the adjective than the noun, I was fortunate enough to encounter the BOC.

For me, it was recognising Orthodoxy as the right way; it was the encounter at the Eucharistic Feast which fixed me where I remain.

But I also recognise we are a missionary Church, and I am familiar enough with dealing with people in crisis to know that some of the noises they make are about self-comfort. That goes for some of the comments Fr. G hears from Anglicans. They are seeking comfort, and of course they'd like to keep x and y and would convert 'if only'. Yet, as Pope Benedict has unintentionally shown, when offered the road to Rome, few, at least in the UK, actually take it. What they really want is their C of E back; it has gone, and either they go with its developming understanding of its faith, or they take a hard decision - which is to find an orthodox expression of the faith.

And here we are, the BOC.

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Messages In This Thread
[] - Fr Gregory - 18-12-2009, 08:25 AM
[] - Walter - 18-12-2009, 10:53 AM
anglicanorum coetibus - Antony-Paul - 18-12-2009, 04:18 PM
[] - Antony-Paul - 19-12-2009, 07:01 PM
[] - John Charmley - 06-04-2010 04:46 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved