The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A few questions
09-04-2010, 07:48 PM
A few questions
1 - Do your churches allow all Orthodox to take the Eucharist during your sevices?

2 - Is it an intention that if your church grows enormously over the years it would become independent from the Egptian church to make a truly British Orthodox Church? Or is it already independent?

3 - Where is the nearest church or group to Chester?

4 - How many books do you have in your Bible?

I'm sure there was another one but I can't remember it.

Many thanks.

Mike
10-04-2010, 09:08 PM

Dear Mike,

welcome Smile

I'm sure Fr. Simon or Fr. Peter can answer more thoroughly, but as far as I can, here we go:

1. It us usually only Oriental Orthodox.

2. The BOC is very happy to come under the jurisdiction of the ancient Apostolic See of Alexandria, and I can't see why we'd want to change that. Orthodoxy works on the Ignatian model, and where ever the bishop is, there is the church.

3. Quite a distance, probably Yorkshire

4. Same as in any Eastern Orthodox bible.

In Christ,

John

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)
10-04-2010, 09:42 PM

Thank for the reply.

Can I just confirm a few things.

It's only Oriental Orthodox that are allowed to take the Eucharist in a BOC service? So, for example, a Greek or Russian Orthodox Christian couldn't?

The BOC comes under the See of Alexandria. Does that mean Pope Shenoudia is the head of the BOC? I thought you were independent for some reason. I thought there was an intention to have a unified British Orthodoxy. Don't know where I got that from.

How many books are in the Eastern Orthodox Bible? If possible could someone tell me the ones that are extra to the Catholic Bible.
14-04-2010, 03:44 AM

There is a recent English translation of the Septuagint available at http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/zot.htm. It uses the Authorized/King James version as its base.

Also, the academic NETS translation of the Septuagint is available here: http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/.

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved