The British Orthodox Church

within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Lent sermon
11-04-2010, 08:08 PM

For the record, the sermon was by no means exclusively monastic based, despite its monastic references which were used as are all my references when they say well what it is I am trying to say (and invariably say it better than I would). It was equally inspired by Dale Carnegie's (yes, he of 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' fame or infamy) 'How to Stop Worrying and Start Living'... and also by that book 'In Praise of Slow' which far from being in any way monastic includes a chapter extolling the virtues of slower eating (enjoying a dining out evening experience as a change from fast food takeaways) and also a chapter on the joys of slow sex! Hardly a monastic based book! I hope that at no tine would I seek to denigrate the incorrectly called secular work of anyone. I recommend the excellent hymn "Teach me my God in all things thee to see" as a good corrective to any such view. I nonetheless held and hold that in Lent it was good to call people to attmept to slow down from those things from which they could slow done or do less of, so as to find more conscious prayer time, time for God in that sense.

No doubt the sermon was not as clear as I intended - and that is something I do well to remember when posting in an open forum like this. It was one thing preaching to a few people in a congregation who knew me and had a familiar context of other sermons, of newsletters (including one addressing a balanced approach to Lent - well I hope it was balanced anyhow). But in an open forum like this when enquirers, catechumens, and plain curious as well as those well more devout than me can all read it, then yes I should choose with great care what I post. Yes indeed I wil strive to remember this and exercise greater caution with any future postings - so thank you.

Messages In This Thread
[] - John Charmley - 11-04-2010, 04:49 PM
[] - Simon - 11-04-2010 08:08 PM
[] - John Charmley - 12-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Twitter: britishorthodox | Contact: info@britishorthodox.org | © The British Orthodox Church 2012 all rights reserved